• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Parade Passing

Peter Dexter

A cel phone shot of a loaded jeep passing in the Campesino parade/ All of the elements aboard reference the life of the campesino. And the striking Colombian flag: yellow represents gold, blue represents the sea and red represents blood, of which much was shed.

46081309682_435408c8af_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A cel phone shot of a loaded jeep passing in the Campesino parade/ All of the elements aboard reference the life of the campesino. And the striking Colombian flag: yellow represents gold, blue represents the sea and red represents blood, of which much was shed.

46081309682_435408c8af_b.jpg

That’s impressive Peter. I am interested in the inherent Campesino pride it demonstrates and how this parade developed as a tradition. What are the known roots? Did it evolve from some earlier rite?

As I child we had horse drawn carts like that and the fellow bought and sold scraps of iron or old rugs and pots, pans and old clothes. He was called a ”Rag and Bone Man. The song, “Any Old Iron” reflects that history!

Often, this was the only workman’s trade a Jew was allowed.

Asher

Peter Dexter

Colombia has many "puentes" or three day weekends, there's hardly a month without one, often two or even three (a bone of contention for companies that would like increased production). Fairs are planned for some of them as is the case here. I don't know how long they've had the parade with the "campesino" theme but it is certainly fun.

There is a department of transportation but a lot of the rules are ignored in the pueblos. The entrance to the village arrives at a "t" and the town fathers decided that entering vehicles should only be allowed to turn right at the "t" so that became the rule. It was obeyed for a few months but now everybody turns left if they want to.