• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

lost files

Paul Bestwick

pro member
OK... here is what happened. I got the auto update notification from Apple. I was not interested to do it then so cancelled out of it. It went but my desktop refreshed & everything on it disappeared.... no trace.

Anyone got a solution.....

Thanks,

PB

Aaron Strasburg

That obviously shouldn't happen. I don't know why there would be a connection between declining a software update and having your desktop corrupted.

I'd be tempted to reboot single user (reboot, holding S while the machine comes up) then run fsck. Single user mode conveniently gives instructions. That checks the filesystem at the lowest level, then if that doesn't help I guess I'd try repair permissions and such in Disk Utility.

Backups available?

Aaron

Stan Jirman

As Aaron said above. Oftentimes, the Finder simply lies about what's there, which is an old problem and nuisance, but only a miracle will give us a better Finder. That's not helping you...

If you really lost files, this app works pretty well:

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

You can try it on a few files and only if it works you have to shell out the dough. Saved me a few files...

In case it is Finder having a brain fart, which I would not be surprised about, you may want to consider this. In Terminal, type:

defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem 1

Then log out and back in, and you'll have a Quit menu item for Finder. When you think it's lying to you, such as with network file systems but also in general, simply quit and re-launch it and you'll get a fresh look at the filesystem :)

Yes, it would be nice if there was a simple "Refresh" or such menu item, but clearly this is more user friendly :)