• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

That 8th pin on some Nikon lenses

Luis Gonzalez

OK. So some lenses have 5 pins, some have 7, some 8, some 10. I understand that 9 and 10 are used to talk to a teleconverter so that it reports the "adjusted" focal length and F/Stops to the camera. I also know that pin 8 is used to provide an additional high current ground on some lenses, I "think" in particular larger lenses with the bigger AF motors in them.

My question concerns pin 8. I have a set of Kenko extension tubes. They have 7 pins of pass-through, so pin 8 is not connected. Therefore the lens is not getting its "extra ground". Any Nikon engineers out there that can tell me what what kind of effect this could potentially have on a lens that is expecting pin 8 to be connected? Will insufficient grounding shorten the AF motors' life, etc?

The following lenses I have all have 8 or 10 pins, but that doesn't necessarily mean that pin 8 is being used.

16-35 F/4 AF-S VR
24 F/3.5 PC-E ( manual focus so probably doesn't matter here )
50 F/1.4G
70-200/2.8 AF-S VR1
85 F/2.8 PC-E ( manual focus so probably doesn't matter here )
200 F/2.0 AF-S VR1