• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Muse Visits! Stealing beauty: grab shot in public places!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was moved by Klaus capturing beauty today. His tulip pictures are splendid! I have no tulips, the petals on the sunflowers were past life. So when Kate arrived to pick pictures for her "book" I took her to a roses I'd seen in the neighborhood and put a scarf around her hair. No makeup. No lights/reflectors.

So we snapped pictures and were back home in no time.

_MG_69714_MASTER_ Edited.jpg

Asher Kelman: Kate and Roses #1

Los Angeles April 2014

Canon 6D 70-200 2.8L IS II

Processed in Photoshop CC

No sharpening

...and there are more to come

Asher

James Lemon

Wonderful image Asher ! She is like a mysterious Goddess that one sees in a story book. Looking forward to seeing more.

I was moved by Klaus capturing beauty today. His tulip pictures are splendid! I have no tulips, the petals on the sunflowers were past life. So when Kate arrived to pick pictures for her "book" I took her to a roses I'd seen in the neighborhood and put a scarf around her hair. No makeup. No lights/reflectors.

So we snapped pictures and were back home in no time.

Los Angeles April 2014

Canon 6D 70-200 2.8L IS II

Processed in Photoshop CC

No sharpening

...and there are more to come

Asher

Very pretty shot, Asher and the scarf around her head is a definite success. The only thing that bothers me are the wrinkles in her dress. Easy to fix, dupe the layer .. add some surface blur, then mask it all out with black then just bring back the smoothness where the wrinkles are the most prevalent with white. It would certainly fix that so that all the focus is on her. I must say though, maybe it's because I'm a girl that these things even catch my eye, so if you disagree, that's perfectly fine. She's still adorable and the pose is really sweet.
:)
Maggie

Asher Kelman

Very pretty shot, Asher and the scarf around her head is a definite success. The only thing that bothers me are the wrinkles in her dress. Easy to fix, dupe the layer .. add some surface blur, then mask it all out with black then just bring back the smoothness where the wrinkles are the most prevalent with white. It would certainly fix that so that all the focus is on her. I must say though, maybe it's because I'm a girl that these things even catch my eye, so if you disagree, that's perfectly fine. She's still adorable and the pose is really sweet.
:)
Maggie

Thanks for visiting, Maggie! Glad you like the concept, a natural beauty with no manipulations - impulse after seeing the gardens nearby and with Klaus' beautiful tulips on my mind!

Yes, the dress needs ironing. Mea culpa! It's a good idea to get rid if the wrinkles with a surface blur but better a reshoot! I generally start a project like this with photographic sketches done with everything "as is".

Asher

Paul Abbott

This is a lovely photograph you've taken here, Asher. The muse appears very statuesque in her look and pose. Nice one...

Thanks for visiting, Maggie! Glad you like the concept, a natural beauty with no manipulations - impulse after seeing the gardens nearby and with Klaus' beautiful tulips on my mind!

Yes, the dress needs ironing. Mea culpa! It's a good idea to get rid if the wrinkles with a surface blur but better a reshoot! I generally start a project like this with photographic sketches done with everything "as is".

Asher

Oh, I hadn't realized you were intending to redo the shoot. I thought it was a one-off the cuff type of thing. Of course it is better to get it in-camera, as always. :)

fahim mohammed

I love the wrinkles in the dress. Goes with the scarf. Who needs tulips or roses ( but they do add a little something :) )

Lovely capture.

Wonderful picture, Asher. Kind of a cross between an approach to Grecian perfection (that Maggie alludes to with comments about the wrinkles) and hippy abandon (re. Fahim's comment) and the scarf around the head. The white flower on her leg is perfect and adds to either interpretation. Either way, it's a great picture. Cheers, Mike.

Asher Kelman

@ James:
Wonderful image Asher ! She is like a mysterious Goddess that one sees in a story book. Looking forward to seeing more.

Yes, James, I feel the same way and wonder how I was chosen for this job! :)

@ Paul:
This is a lovely photograph you've taken here, Asher. The muse appears very statuesque in her look and pose. Nice one...

Thanks Paul,

I appreciate your visit! Kate is really natural. I do direct the pose quite to line up with all my dreaming when I first found the garden of roses. But she is the one that responds and delivers beyond my expectations.

@ Fahim
I love the wrinkles in the dress. Goes with the scarf. Who needs tulips or roses ( but they do add a little something :) )

Lovely capture.

Fahim,

Thanks for supporting the natural state of her dress. She's an active human being not a hired skinny mannequin for Vogue. I want us to celebrate the woman not the clothes. The clothes and the roses are just decorations!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Los Angeles April 2014

Wonderful picture, Asher. Kind of a cross between an approach to Grecian perfection (that Maggie alludes to with comments about the wrinkles) and hippy abandon (re. Farim's comment) and the scarf around the head. The white flower on her leg is perfect and adds to either interpretation. Either way, it's a great picture. Cheers, Mike.

Michael,

Hmm, finally someone spotted that flower on her leg! She was so very brave! All the while, just before and after this shot, bees buzzed around. I begged her to stay, assuring her they don't bite, or sting without provocation. She wasn't too convinced that they only suck honey and wouldn't waste stinger and in a suicide mission hurting a goddess! How she can look so serene in spite of the bees amazed me!

Asher

Asher Kelman

The next part of this series is here.

You may get to realize that I celebrate the person as they are, (and apart from an occasional zit), I keep the body the way it is, never any sculpting in my artwork! I make no choice to find a woman who fits some fashion model or mythological "ideal". If there's a vein showing in her hand, it's part of her with life flowing inside it. I love that too! Mostly there are no smiles, except the pictures I share for now. My muses think, and for a rest, the smile comes back and that's what I choose to share. Kate's smile is to me refreshing, sweet, pretty and a break in pace.

I hope you will continue to follow her work with me here. :)

Thanks for following!

Asher