• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Welcome John Gibb Millspaugh!

Rachel Foster

Hi, all! I'd like to introduce my friend, John Gibb Millspaugh! I'm excited he's decided to join. He has some interesting questions, too.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi, all! I'd like to introduce my friend, John Gibb Millspaugh! I'm excited he's decided to join. He has some interesting questions, too.

Glad to see you back too! We miss those flower and people pictures! Glad you have brought in a new member. We are looking forward to his presence!

Asher

I've arrived! Great to discover open photography forums!

Thanks, Rachel, it’s good to be here, and to be part of this virtual community with you!

I’ve long enjoyed casual portraits and macro photography (especially insects—my grandfather was an entomologist), but I’m new to more serious photography and its associated price range.

I’m trying to be smart about the first one or two lenses I buy for a micro four thirds system. As Rachel mentioned, I’m planning to purchase the OMD E-M10 that Olympus announced on January 29 of this year. If you’re unfamiliar with it, it's no pro DSLR but it seems great for my needs...ISO range of 200 to 25,600 (with a low ISO 100 equivalent setting), contrast detection autofocus system with 81 points, sequential shooting at fps for up to 20 RAW shots (before slowing), 16 MP, included EVF of 1.44 million dots, manual control dials , max shutter speed of 1/8000, and the same processor as the E-M5.

As you can tell I’m happy with these specs. But I have no clue about what lenses to start off with. I just started a new thread on that topic here in the “All other DSLR's and Four Thirds, 4/3" forum. Is there a better place for this conversation? In any case, I’d appreciate your stopping by with any lens advice you might have, or any banter you’d enjoy about the 4/3 system!

Regards, and thanks Rachel,

John