• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Singer,Songwriter,Actress

James Lemon

i-cmC5D8q-L.jpg

Paul Abbott

James, you have some great subjects, but with this one her extremities are all brutally cut off, without any regard it looks like...and there is no balance to the image as a result.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
James, you have some great subjects, but with this one her extremities are all brutally cut off, without any regard it looks like...and there is no balance to the image as a result.

What is stunning is that I myself did not realize that. I was so taken by her face and metal ornamental necklace!

Paul, explain that. I do not intend to be oblivious to poor framing. But I guess I am impulsive, far too impulsive and need to reflect before buying anything!

Asher

Asher Kelman

around-the-mall-yousuf-karsh-churchill-thumb.jpg

Karsh - Ottawa​

It's fitting that a badly cropped picture should frame so well a brilliant beast of a statesman!

Asher Kelman

James,

There's no question that the picture is impressive. As with the oddly cropped Churchill portrait, the subject powerfully distracts from the organic and unnecessary disorder. While one can get away with this, it's not good practice!

I commend Paul for being gutsy enough to state what is wrong, as no one else did. This is how we learn discipline. That is not to say I now dislike the picture, but with the skills you show, this omission in technique is, for me at least, a wake up call to not get distracted by immediate impressions and be carried away by beauty. Of course the picture can succeed anyway, but paying attention to good framing practice, likely as not, will deliver an even better picture 99% of the time!

Asher

Paul Abbott

What is going on here? Come on...I don't care what the Smithsonian does!

Anyway, I'll always remember reading something by David Bailey to this effect a long long time ago when I started out in photography, and it's backed up by these links below. I seem to remember it was stated that the extremities need to be paid careful attention just as much as the face, and used in an organic, natural and effective way.

Here are a couple of guides for anyone who is interested: http://petapixel.com/2011/09/29/crop-guidelines-for-portrait-photography/
https://news.smugmug.com/2015/02/06/8-rules-to-remember-that-make-more-powerful-portraits/

Peter Dexter

I agree that the crop is awkward cutting her hand off. Is there an aesthetic reason behind that choice? The crop Churchill portrait is more acceptable because it doesn't off any part of him at a joint. That said, never tire of looking at pretty girls.

Asher Kelman

Karsh, Alvedon, Leibowitz and other "famous" photographers, wouldn't have framed like this, for sure. But cannot we at least look at and consider a picture that is such a departure from norms?

Yes, the forearm is cut off, but that does not alter the fact that the subject is still engaging and interesting. The very oddity also makes the picture stand out. I have seen portraits with a pole directly behind the subjects head, as if purposely confronting our sensibilities to be served the expected formats.

Asher

James Lemon

It is nice that most of the composition police have been able to remain somewhat positive. I appreciate your feedback in this regard. My ideas, views, about what photography is or isn't does differ from most. The only reason for posting is that I like the image!

Best, regards
James

Asher Kelman

It is nice that most of the composition police have been able to remain somewhat positive. I appreciate your feedback in this regard. My ideas, views, about what photography is or isn't does differ from most. The only reason for posting is that I like the image!

Best, regards
James

James,

Thanks for the la k of super thin skin!

Still, I do wonder how much the impact of the picture would be altered if the entire hand was visible.

Did you only take this one picture of her that day?

Asher

James Lemon

James,

Thanks for the la k of super thin skin!

Still, I do wonder how much the impact of the picture would be altered if the entire hand was visible.

Did you only take this one picture of her that day?

Asher

Asher

i-GVjR2ZN-L.jpg

i-r8v7MsT-L.jpg

This was some time ago but I do recall that one of them was used by a casting director but here are two more.​

Best, regards
James

Doug Kerr

Hi, James,

Terrific shot of a stunning girl!

Now if only we could see her entire left elbow. You are such a tease.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

You know what? I'm a bit of a cheater.

If I am asked to take a portrait (which does not happen so often and never of such attractive women, but I digress), I also find it difficult to take attention of both the expression on the face and the movements of the hands. Consequently, I have been criticised (in less polite terms than on this well managed forum) for cutting a finger or two.

I like to believe that there is an engineering solution to every problem. I realised that, with modern cameras, we have much more pixels than we need. Now I use a slightly shorter focal length lens and crop to taste afterwards.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

You know what? I'm a bit of a cheater.

If I am asked to take a portrait (which does not happen so often and never of such attractive women, but I digress), I also find it difficult to take attention of both the expression on the face and the movements of the hands. Consequently, I have been criticised (in less polite terms than on this well managed forum) for cutting a finger or two.

I like to believe that there is an engineering solution to every problem. I realised that, with modern cameras, we have much more pixels than we need. Now I use a slightly shorter focal length lens and crop to taste afterwards.

An excellent point.

Best regards,

Doug