• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Who has questions?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
If you are puzzled about such AV, shutter priority or why to use photoshop, ask here!

Don't be inhibited.

My own background is just black and white and many hours in the darkroom. We all have to ask basic questions. So why not pose them here!

Welcome to this new forum.

Asher

Richard Fisher

Tiffs in elements 2

Hello Asher,
I have Photoshop Elements 2 and I use it mostly for scanned films, doing the sort of tweaks I used to do in a darkroom. I also own a digital cam (Ricoh GX8).
My problem is that I cannot open tiffs from the Ricoh because they are in an "unsupported color space".
I have searched all the options and preferences but can't find any way through.
My questions,
1, Can Elements 2 open tiffs ?
2, Are Ricoh tiffs incompatible ?
3, Is it worth the trouble as I only print up to A4 and do my serious work on film ?
This is not meant to be a film versus digital rant, it's just that my fingers have become Pentax shaped over the years.

Regards, Richard F.

Diane Fields

I'm wondering if the camera is unsupported by PSE2. I'm not sure what version they are up to now (ah--just checked--the newest vs. is 5) but its likely that that camera may not ever have been included in 2. Were you ever able to open files in PS2? I read a review and couldn't determine what color space it may shoot in--but PSE certainly supports tiff and jpeg, so I feel its something about the quite old vs. of PE and being incompatible with the R icoh, for some reason. Why don't you send a tiff to someone with a newer version---or Photoshop--to see if they can be opened. Usually, though, when we talk about a camera being unsupported its the RAW files that are unable to be opened until they do an upgrade to ACR.

What color space does the Ricoh shoot in?

Hmmm---just read all the specs on the Ricoh page and it appears that it records 2 different tiffs--one for photos and one for text. I really don't know much about the different types, but the text is MMR system ITV-T.6 and the still is non compression YUV. Perhaps you have it set to record the wrong tiff and PSE doesn't recognize that version. Just a shot in the dark--but I feel sure that its an incompatibility of some kind--old version of PSE--and then 2 tiffs.

Ah--another question--have you tried shooting in jpeg and see if those are recognized?

Diane

1, Can Elements 2 open tiffs ?
Yes. Open a JPEG and try File->Save As to save a TIFF and then open that to test it.
2, Are Ricoh tiffs incompatible ?
I do not know. Would you care to upload a file to share? Even a photo of your ceiling would do. You can upload via free tools like http://www.yousendit.com/ or such. But without seeing a problem file it is hard to be definitive.

3, Is it worth the trouble as I only print up to A4 and do my serious work on film ?
A4 is 8x12 in/20x30 cm correct? Then with an 8 MP camera it will matter little unless you have an underexposed shot or crop heavily. I have printed 5 MP captures up to about 16.5x22 inches with reasonable detail and good detail at arms reach.

some thoughts,

Sean

Richard Fisher

Hello again,
Thankyou Diane and Sean for your replies.
I have found the answer to my question by remembering the family motto, "If all else fails, read the instructions".
A small foot note in the handbook reads; "If you are using windows, convert the file into the BMP format using the ImageMixer provided." This I duly did having found and loaded the Caplio disc, my next move will be to make side by side comparisons of jpegs and bmps/tiffs.
Other points, elements 2 will open tiffs from other scources and jpegs are no problem at all.
The Gx8 is a handy little camera with two features I consider important a viewfinder and a 28mm (equivelent) lens at the wide end, the downside is that shooting tiffs reduces the operating speed to that of 5x4 plate camera.
Regards, Richard F.

StuartRae

Nill,

Sweet dreams :)

Maybe you're thinking of GIF, or dreaming of the days when video cards only supported 256 colours?

Regards,

Stuart

Is GIF only 256 colors?

Hi Nil,

A GIF only supports 256 color (8 bits) out of 16.7 million. Colors outside the chosen 256 get dithered in some fashion. The image is then losslessly compressed.

The cool things about GIF files is that they support transparency (fun for the web) and that they do not blur hard edges like JPEGs can.

enjoy,

Sean

John Sheehy

The cool things about GIF files is that they support transparency (fun for the web) and that they do not blur hard edges like JPEGs can.
Sean

That is true about the format, but it seems that for a while now, most of these web forums started turning GIFs into JPEGs when you embed the GIF in a post. I put GIFs on pbase, they dispaly as IGFs on pbase, download from pbase as GIFs, but when I embed them here, on DPReview, and on Luminous Landscape, they have JPEG compression artifacts in them.

Richard Fisher

Tiffs etc.

Well folks, before we all wander too far down this side-track, can anyone advise me what I should do with this BMP? Should I convert it into a tiff again or even a PSD?
Regards, Richard F.

Hi Richard,

I hope all is well.

Well folks, before we all wander too far down this side-track,
Well, you have caught one of the worst offenders at it again. <smile>
can anyone advise me what I should do with this BMP? Should I convert it into a tiff again or even a PSD?

The best solution I can think for this is to first test a few other viewers to see if any can read the original. This is not a necessity, but file compatibility is a long term archiving issue. You might check out:

http://www.irfanview.com/ (the best viewer on Windows platforms IMO due to it being fast and lean)
http://www.xnview.com/ (a multi-platform option)

I tend to archive RAW files, processed PSDs, and JPEGs at chosen print resolutions (i.e., I printed it).

In this case, I would probably archive two copies of the original TIFF and two copies of the PSD and not bother to retain a BMP.

I know this is four copies, but I dislike the idea of archiving the original regardless. I would also make an ISO image of the CD with the translation software and archive that with the originals so that if you lose the disk in the future you still have the software to translate it into a usable format.

hope this helps,

Sean

Richard Fisher

In-camera sharpening

My camera (Ricoh GX8) offers the option of sharpening or softening the pics in camera. Since I use Elements, with the option of unsharp mask if I feel the need, is there any benefit from sharpening at this point?
I should add that I almost never sharpen film scans, and use it sparingly for some of my digi photo's.
Opinions invited.
Regards, Richard F.

Holly Cawfield

About As Basic As It Gets

If you are puzzled about such AV, shutter priority or why to use photoshop, ask here!

Don't be inhibited.

My own background is just black and white and many hours in the darkroom. We all have to ask basic questions. So why not pose them here!

Well I believe I'm making some progress.... I know I'm certainly accused of spending enough time on this endeavour known as photography. :-D However, I have a question that is probably so basic that I should be posting a humbling, red-faced smiley :-D but no matter how many times I google it, look up my new books and especially the Dummies version I can't seem to find the answer.

Why, when I set my Canon 400D on manual can I not set the aperture any wider than 5.6? I know when I try a photo on the automatic 'macro' setting the exif data shows the shot at 4.0 or even lower numbers. Now this is something over which I am very puzzled.

With thanks,
Holly

Diane Fields

Well I believe I'm making some progress.... I know I'm certainly accused of spending enough time on this endeavour known as photography. :-D However, I have a question that is probably so basic that I should be posting a humbling, red-faced smiley :-D but no matter how many times I google it, look up my new books and especially the Dummies version I can't seem to find the answer.

Why, when I set my Canon 400D on manual can I not set the aperture any wider than 5.6? I know when I try a photo on the automatic 'macro' setting the exif data shows the shot at 4.0 or even lower numbers. Now this is something over which I am very puzzled.

With thanks,
Holly

Holly, that is dependent upon your lens. There are a number of them that have variable aperture settings based on the focal length. For instance, the 28-135 is f/3.5 at 28 and f/5.6 at 135 (I believe, without actually checking it personally but that's what I remember). Some have fixed apertures throughout the zoom--i.e., the 24-105 IS is f/4 from 24 to 105. My Sigma 15-30 is f/3.5 at 15 and f/4.5 at 30. My Canon 24-70L is f/2.8 from 24-70. I don't know what FL you were using for 'macro' but suspect it was at the higher range. When you buy a lens you will normally pay more for a fixed aperture throughout--but sometimes it doesn't make a lot of difference-since, normally I use the 15-30 at apertures more stopped down than their minimums.

Hope this answers your question---without knowing exactly what lens I'm just giving general examples.

Diane

Holly Cawfield

Thanks Diane!! This does make sense and I understand what you're saying. The confusing part to me is that I've done this with the kit lens which shoots at 4.0 on macro yet will not allow that setting on manual.

I also have the sigma 70-300mm f4-f5.6 and I thought I would have been able to set the aperture at 4 with that but it doesn't budge beyond 5.6.

Holly Cawfield

Well for goodness' sake Nil. It worked.

All these weeks trying to find an answer and I only had to ask here. :-D

Thank you very much!!!

Nill Toulme

It's a mildly interesting exercise, when you have absolutely nothing else to do, to figure out at just what zoom lengths your zoom lenses change their max aperture. Start with it zoomed all the way out to wide, set it to max aperture, then start creeping the zoom up toward the tele end, half pressing the shutter button repeatedly as you go, and you can see where it changes. It will change more than once; it's a progressive thing.

Yes, this is admittedly a very geeky procedure, but the knowledge can be at least moderately useful, especially at the tele end, as occasionally you'll find yourself in a situation where you're struggling with needing as much focal length and as much aperture as you can muster.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Take it one further

When I started learning about photography I put the camera on Manual. Then I took my lens out and took a photo at each focal length at one aperture setting so that I had an entire set of photos at each focal length and lens opening. Same subject but it gave me an idea of what that lens would do for each setting - that was with film. I learned a lot from that exercise. With digital, I would do some thing similar with each white balance setting and each ISO setting too. I guess we did the ISO when we changed type of film!

When I started learning about photography I put the camera on Manual. Then I took my lens out and took a photo at each focal length at one aperture setting so that I had an entire set of photos at each focal length and lens opening. Same subject but it gave me an idea of what that lens would do for each setting - that was with film. I learned a lot from that exercise. With digital, I would do some thing similar with each white balance setting and each ISO setting too. I guess we did the ISO when we changed type of film!

Kathy, your approach is far more methodical than I would expect from beginning photographers today, not that I think you are a beginner. The ones that have asked me for help expect some magic formula that will give them the benefit of my 45 years of shooting experience, instantly.

When I started learning about photography, there was nothing but manual. Now when I suggest that a beginner put his/her camera in Manual, they tell me that they can't make pictures that way.

TIFF & PSD as thumbnail on desktop?

Greetings,

I am also new to all this, and I try to learn a lot which can cause a great deal of headaches at times.

I work on a somewhat older PC (XP SP1) that I use for both Photoshop CS2 and Music, I have not any problems with it excpet this:

As I write here, I have over 200 files on my desktop, 85% TIFF and 15% PSD Files.

Yeah I know, but before you start beating me up <grins> I run 3 monitors from one graphic card so I have quite some screen estate, 3840 x 1024 and I work on single pictures but also on panoramas, hence the desktop file load at times.

It would be a great help if I could have TIFF and PSD files display a thumbnail picture on my desktop. Ideally "on demand", let's say with a rightclick and a menu where I could activate a thumbnail view for the first pic in a series as I do no need them all to be shown, but ideally one representative for 1 group if you get my drift.

Does anyone know of a way to display PSD or TFF as a picture on your desktop?

Thanks!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Charles,

Maybe it is my accounting background where we test each thing one at a time in an auditing sense. It just made sense to me - if I do this = here is the result. Change one thing and check it. Actually, I think even when we know the answer, it's good to review. Just like bracketing a shot gives us some varience.

Ray West

Hi Geog,

I tend to use Picasa for finding/sorting images, it's cheap! You may not be able to get it to do what you want, but maybe you can change your wants to what it can do. There are relatively expensive, time consuming image to icon file conversion programs. There is also windows XP itself.

For XP, shove your images in folders, grouping similar ones in separate folders, a you mentioned, then open the folder properties - customise - then select 'what kind of folder do you want?' then select Photo Album (best for fewer pictures, and the default view will give you a folder icon with four images. You can resize the thumbnail, etc. or you can select a single image.

I guess you are aware that xp can view many raw formats as thumbnails, not too sure about psd, but tiff OK

Best wishes,
Ray

Hi Ray,

all true, but strangely enough, with TIFF or PSD direrctly on the desktop there is no immediate solution.

I have to look into that in more detail.... Probably some CS2 Adobe common/shell/ *.dll and registry stuff that needs to be changed I would guess....