• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lone Pine, MT

I've been playing with this shot for a while.. I pass this building on the way to and from my place in Montana. In my distant past this store was actually open for business. Now, to the right is the new store. I'm glad they didn't tear down the old building.

118453949.jpg

Somehow this is still not right. Must stop here every trip and try to get the shot I really want.....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I pass this building on the way to and from my place in Montana................. Somehow this is still not right. Must stop here every trip and try to get the shot I really want.....

118453949.jpg

Duke Beattie: Lone Pine, MT

Hi Duke.

This is a place with lots of memories that's hard to get into a single picture. So I'd make variants in a series. This and other pictures as you explore the place, each time in new and different ways. This one photograph is, itself, open to variations in presentation. Just small crops rearrange the way piece of the composition interact and interreact.

For example, the photograph might be more powerful without the dark sky above the white voluminous and impressive clouds. Alternatively, crop away the left third and add even more of that dark sky above the clouds, much more!

How about that approach?

Asher

Getting some variations is my plan.. I go by this place every couple of months (on average). Usually late afternoon on the way over and noonish on the way back. But since it is so far north, late afternoon can be dead dark in the winter... But that could work also.. maybe a clear bright moon lit evening.....
I don't have anymore sky to work with on this particular shot.. .. I like the crop off the left though.. I got very fixated on the gate on the left and forgot I could get rid of it.. I'll play some more with your input and see what comes of it.
I have a little house over here that I have taken a number of 'seasonal' shots of and it can be a fun project. Thanks for the input.....

Asher Kelman

I've been playing with this shot for a while.. I pass this building on the way to and from my place in Montana. In my distant past this store was actually open for business. Now, to the right is the new store. I'm glad they didn't tear down the old building.

118453949.jpg

Somehow this is still not right. Must stop here every trip and try to get the shot I really want.....

Why is it that this picture seems to represent our own memories, as if we had been there, just passing through?

Asher

Asher Kelman

I must return to this lone store ascit seems to represent some brief diversion on life's journey.

What do others think?

Have you similar images to share?

Asher