• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fractured

Fractured is from my Naturally Abstract collection and was composed at Dreher Island State Park in Prosperity, SC. It is pine sap with amazing stress lines. The hardest part was trying to find areas where bugs weren't trapped in it. ;-)

The Artist's Story blog post for this piece (and a couple of others) explains how I believe these areas were created and can be read here: pine sap

SD16_2556.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fractured is from my Naturally Abstract collection and was composed at Dreher Island State Park in Prosperity, SC. It is pine sap with amazing stress lines. The hardest part was trying to find areas where bugs weren't trapped in it. ;-)

The Artist's Story blog post for this piece (and a couple of others) explains how I believe these areas were created and can be read here: pine sap

SD16_2556.jpg

Steve,

This is so enjoyable. Also it reminds me of the appearance, color and texture of the fossilized redwood trees in Arizona.

As an aside, those trapped insects which you have strived to avoid have allowed paleoarchaelogists to date geological strata and learn about evolution of living things from even 10 to 160 millions of years ago. Amazingly, the DNA sequences may be preserved in the process!

So this photograph works on so many levels from esthetics to learning about our precious planet!

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
As an after thought, have you thought of selective blending of this with another photograph of a deer or person? You may be really impressed by such an exploration!

I try to remember I have such goodies for my creative moments, like bringing home a crushed cola can or a weathered driftwood shape from the beach.

Asher

Asher,
Thanks for looking and the very kind words. As valuable as those bugs are from a scientific perspective, I just wanted a clean foreground. ;-)

SD16_2556.jpg

Steve,

This is so enjoyable. Also it reminds me of the appearance, color and texture of the fossilized redwood trees in Arizona.

As an aside, those trapped insects which you have strived to avoid have allowed paleoarchaelogists to date geological strata and learn about evolution of living things from even 10 to 160 millions of years ago. Amazingly, the DNA sequences may be preserved in the process!

So this photograph works on so many levels from esthetics to learning about our precious planet!

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

I had not considered that so thanks for the suggestion. I don't do much in PS, but I have thought that some day (when I'm too old and tired to drag my gear all over the place), playing with those types of ideas might produce something worthy.

As an after thought, have you thought of selective blending of this with another photograph of a deer or person? You may be really impressed by such an exploration!

I try to remember I have such goodies for my creative moments, like bringing home a crushed cola can or a weathered driftwood shape from the beach.

Asher

Peter Dexter

An intriguing image. I clicked on "pine sap" link and found that you offer the image for sale. If I were in the market to buy such an image I would certainly hope it would come without a lot of text slathered across the top. Do you sell your images with out this?

An intriguing image. I clicked on "pine sap" link and found that you offer the image for sale. If I were in the market to buy such an image I would certainly hope it would come without a lot of text slathered across the top. Do you sell your images with out this?

Hello Peter,
Yes, purchased images do NOT have my logo or copyright information on them. Since I use a POD site for prints, you will see their logo on the image listed for sale, that also will NOT be on the printed version. The logo and copyright information are only on images uploaded to websites so that folks that steal images will be discouraged from taking them. It won't prevent theft, but it helps me sleep better at night. :)