• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gear and Gadgets: Questions on choice of the tool for the job and the lke! My choice of cameras and reasons!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The L mount was designed for the Leica SL,TL and CL systems, essentially auto focus for their loyal leica users wanting something more than th M mount.Panasonic is strongly involved in the design and production of the SL system and its lenses.

Jim and I also address this to Fahim and others deeply invested in the finest and bespoke German Leica M bodies and lenses. So what of this royal DNA remains in the SL, TL and CL systems?

It can’t just be the brand? Has Panasonic German supervision in making the new comparable bodies or it’s just a compatible ecosystem that Leica affecionados with their rangefinder focusing heritage can give their hearts to in the 2020s and beyond?

Asher

James Lemon

Jim and I also address this to Fahim and others deeply invested in the finest and bespoke German Leica M bodies and lenses. So what of this royal DNA remains in the SL, TL and CL systems?

It can’t just be the brand? Has Panasonic German supervision in making the new comparable bodies or it’s just a compatible ecosystem that Leica affecionados with their rangefinder focusing heritage can give their hearts to in the 2020s and beyond?

Asher

Asher

I would say that their proprietary lens technology would play a huge role. However Leica has had to reinvent itself in order to survive. It would appear that they are evolving into a design center for products under their specs but manufactured elsewhere.

Best, regards
James

Asher Kelman

So what are our needs in camera gear. There are some combinations that work against imus and others that make the job fun and less like work!

A. Detail rich high dynamic range: It’s unfair to the bespoke longhorn cows of Texas not to be able to see experience the hair between the horns. With landscapes one wants the detilscin trunks of trees and the shine of buttercups. For such detail rich high dynamic scenes one needs both high resolution and also dynamic range.

None of these requires subtle presence. The same in a professional photographic studio. So the LF film and MF digital are a natural for such work.

B. The unnoticed camera: The challenge is photographing were it’s frowned on like inside a temple/Church/mosque during prayers, museums or street photography. There one needs to be as inconspicuous as possible. This is where APS-C and MFT compact bodies are so valued. Even better I’d recommend the Ricoh GR or GFX series or even better the 42 MP Sony 35mm RX1 II with the A7RII full size 35mm sensor!

C: Social in low light, for buddies & the web: Your need, Doug, low light focus and sensitivity but needing only to publish on the web is a particularly narrow demand, only because most folk have not thought through their actual needs. If they only knew! Likely that is what most folk would be happy with.

Macro, Nature, Birds, Forensic etc, to follow.

Asher

James Lemon

So what are our needs in camera gear. There are some combinations that work against imus and others that make the job fun and less like work!

A. Detail rich high dynamic range: It’s unfair to the bespoke longhorn cows of Texas not to be able to see experience the hair between the horns. With landscapes one wants the detilscin trunks of trees and the shine of buttercups. For such detail rich high dynamic scenes one needs both high resolution and also dynamic range.

None of these requires subtle presence. The same in a professional photographic studio. So the LF film and MF digital are a natural for such work.

B. The unnoticed camera: The challenge is photographing were it’s frowned on like inside a temple/Church/mosque during prayers, museums or street photography. There one needs to be as inconspicuous as possible. This is where APS-C and MFT compact bodies are so valued. Even better I’d recommend the Ricoh GR or GFX series or even better the 42 MP Sony 35mm RX1 II with the A7RII full size 35mm sensor!

C: Social in low light, for buddies & the web: Your need, Doug, low light focus and sensitivity but needing only to publish on the web is a particularly narrow demand, only because most folk have not thought through their actual needs. If they only knew! Likely that is what most folk would be happy with.

Macro, Nature, Birds, Forensic etc, to follow.

Asher

Asher

No one seems to notice me and my new Z6 when out taking pictures it is very capable in low light and silent mode works awesome. In fact it is so quite I have to second guess myself as to whether not I made a photograph, super fast and quite indeed ! The Sony XQD card is lighting fast especially when uploading large files to the computer, simply amazing! Light years ahead of an SD card. I can control,ISO,aperture,and shutter speed with my thumb and forefinger without have to reach across the camera.

Best, regards
James

Asher Kelman

Asher

No one seems to notice me and my new Z6 when out taking pictures it is very capable in low light and silent mode works awesome. In fact it is so quite I have to second guess myself as to whether not I made a photograph, super fast and quite indeed ! The Sony XQD card is lighting fast especially when uploading large files to the computer, simply amazing! Light years ahead of an SD card.

I am about to look at the reviews. You are on the cutting emerge with the Z6, James.

How small is it compared to MFT and other small high quality cameras? Is it a flagship pro camera yet. Because the competing Canon R is essentially their opening shot as an enthusiasts camera.

(An amazing feature of the R to me is ability to focus at f11 in low light which opens up the use of stacked multipliers in telephoto lenses looking into trees for birds.)

I will pay attention to the Nikon Z6 as I appreciate the best tools for the job.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

A very nice summary. Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

James Lemon

I am about to look at the reviews. You are on the cutting emerge with the Z6, James.

How small is it compared to MFT and other small high quality cameras? Is it a flagship pro camera yet. Because the competing Canon R is essentially their opening shot as an enthusiasts camera.

(An amazing feature of the R to me is ability to focus at f11 in low light which opens up the use of stacked multipliers in telephoto lenses looking into trees for birds.)

I will pay attention to the Nikon Z6 as I appreciate the best tools for the job.

Asher

Asher

Don't always trust reviews it is easy for the so called pros to jump to conclusions. I am having serious a problem with a screen blackout. I have had some people look at it but have not solved the problem. I was suspecting a temperature problem in cold weather. However I just blew on the EVF with my breath and on come the screen. I also see a light film of something on the eyepiece glass . I will give it a wipe and see if this improves things. I have it the fridge to see if the temperature has an effect on the performance.

Best, regards
James

Jerome Marot

That problem was solved 10 years ago, with cameras like the Canon 5D MII, Sony A900 and Nikon D3x.

I don't take pictures during prayers. The shutter noise problem took a bit longer to be solved with large cameras: RX1 (2012) or A7 series silent shutter (2015), but the "inconspicuous" part was solved with the generalisation of smartphones cameras also 10 years ago.

That problem was also solved 10 years ago. The Nikon D700 was quite good at night, the A900 was stabilised even with f/1.4 lenses...