• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

display advice please

Hi Leonardo,

I am not even an LCD user yet a my CRTs work. But I have looked at them and one of the things I have noted is that high end photo flat panels tend to have lower contrast ratios and 1000:1 is a touch high which may make judging how prints will look on paper with your display may be difficult.

Hopefully someone who knows more will provide more input.

enjoy your day,

Sean

Jörgen Nyberg

Hi Leonardo

Haven't tried the monitor that you asked about, but may I recommend another?

I just bought a Samsung 215 TW, similar specs to the one you are looking at, except it's a widescreen (1680*1050).

Lovely screen, with a multitude of inputs: VGA, DVI, S-VHS, CVBS and component.

Can be found in the states for less than $500.

Jörgen

Last edited:

Ray West

Hi Leonardo,

I have the Nec 2070NX, which, as far as I'm concerned is excellent. I'm guessing that the spec is similar.

Best wishes,

Ray

It's good to ask questions, for example, I believed that 1000:1 contrast was better than, say, 700:1 contrast, but I have no idea what it meas.

One thing I want to do is to have two monitors, one calibrated and the other just for the tool pallets, so I don't mind to have one that has a 4:5 ratio.

I think that a 19 inch could be good for general work and 700 is a good price, but probably I will continue the research...

thanks

Ray, the model you have seams like the way to go in terms of Q/$ (quality per cost) I don't know why they have to heve this complicated model numbers and letters, I imagine that NX should mean something, maybe NeXt, New generation X, etc.

Can you elaborate on your experience. Do you have a calibration device, and is it easily calibrated, and does it "hold" the calibration?

thanks

Ray West

Hi Leonardo,

Not much to say. It has a nice thin surround (mine is beige - I think yours is black, and yours is an inch bigger). Usefully it has four usb ports, and a pretty good stand. It's a very neat unit. It has the adjustments on the bottom of the screen surround, and sometimes I accidentally turn it off or turn on the menu, when I go to get something from the stack of papers I have jammed underneath .... But you will be a much tidier worker than me ;-)

I have the monaco optix xr, but have not noticed any drift in the adjustment values. Now, of course it depends how fussy you are, etc. but this monitor far exceeds my demands. I'm running windoze xp, and this is on 24/7, and I've had it about a year.

However, I have not undertaken any product comparisons, except at the time of purchase I was also looking at Lacie, which was expensive over here, and of course this NEC is far better than the 15 inch I had before. I am not sure that I will ever have the need for anything better, until I see it, of course.

hth.

Best wishes,

Ray

Nill Toulme

NEC's current line for serious color work is the xx90 line: 1990sxi, 2090uxi, 2190uxi, 2490wuxi and 2690wuxi, the latter two widescreen and due to start shipping literally any minute now. I've had the 2090uxi for the better part of a year and couldn't be happier with it.

It's my understanding that LaCie's tend to be rebadged NEC's for the most part, but I have no personal experience with them.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Erik DeBill

Be careful when thinking about the "bargain" LCDs at places like Fry's. They frequently sell ones with dead pixels. I've a coworker with 3 Samsungs that all have dead pixels. I suspect that the ultra cheap ones (usually of a moderately nice model) are frequently ones that have failed an inspection because they have dead pixels, but not enough to qualify to be returned.

That said, I got a 20" for $250 at Costco that's been working nicely for 6 months or so. No bad pixels.