• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Monitor needed..

I currently have a NEC 20wmgx monitor and it has performed flawlessly for about a year now.
Lately ,I've been experiencing some darkening of the upper right hand corner ..it is as though,the monitor has some burn marks.
I called NEC tech support ,ad they said that this issue is common for this model,and ,they offered very little support....so,
can anyone recommend a high quality wide screen monitor that I can use with photoshop,and general photo editing
I'd like 22-24in wide screen ,and if possible,in the price range of $750-$1000 .
The nec 's look good ,but I'm a little reluctant to stay with them.
Maybe Samsung,or Apple.?
Im using windows XP

Any help /suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Mike

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hello Michael

yes quite weird! it seems that Nec USA has not the same policy as Nec in Europe…

Wz Have 2 NECs 2080 UX for 2 or 3 years and quite happy with them… However for better color reproduction and comfort working on laaaaarge file, I recently bought a NEC Spectraview 3090… and made a report here, but it is a little bit above your budget…

With monitors as with a lot of other stuff in life, YGWYPF… or more obvious (and true) : you don't get what you don't pay for!

Well I am sorry to hear about your troubles but I am hoping it was just an anomaly. My cheapy monitor finally died two nights ago and I just ordered an NEC myself. I hope it was not a bad decision to get the NEC MultiSync LCD2190UXi-BK. Nicolas, I wanted a Spectraview based on your review but alas, it was out of my budget range too.
James

New Monitor

Nicolas,James,
Thanks for your replies..
I gather that the both you prefer NEC.
Is there another manufacturer you'd recommend,as I have a bad taste in my mouth with NEC,but it seems most pro's are using them..is there any alternative?

Nicolas,congratulations on the new 3090..looks like a beauty,

Mike

Andrew Rodney

I recently bought a NEC Spectraview 3090… and made a report here, but it is a little bit above your budget…

Then the 2690 might be a better fit. I've got both the 3090 and 2690. Yes, the 3090 is bigger (its huge) and more expensive but the 2690 is otherwise just as nice, uses the same SpectraView II software that is absolutely necessary to take advantage of the SpectraView II hardware (with supported instrument).

At 26", its still huge next to my 21" Sony Artisan!

Hello Michael

Wz Have 2 NECs 2080 UX for 2 or 3 years and quite happy with them… However for better color reproduction and comfort working on laaaaarge file, I recently bought a NEC Spectraview 3090…

Nicolas...are the 2080's that you speak of here Spectraviews or were they MultiSync? I am just trying to figure out if my recent purchase of a MultiSync was not so intelligent on my part. It sits right now in the Houston Fed-Ex location by the way, awaiting delivery tomorrow. Only a few miles away and I can't have it yet. I am currently forced to use my wife's work laptop just to visit the forum. I have been taking photos for the past 4 days but unable to look at or process any of them. I can't load Photoshop on her computer. One more day and I will feel whole again.
James

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonsoir James
The 2080 UX are MultiSync, not spectraview.
Nice monitors, but they aren't now showing exactly the same colors from one side to the other. That is not the case with the Spectraview as they are hand selected at the end of the production line.
Still, they are good monitors! I do also know those days when your new stuff is stuck in a depot and you have to wait for the delivery!

However, I wish you a great Sunday! (mine is nearly over ;-)

I currently have a NEC 20wmgx monitor and it has performed flawlessly for about a year now.
Lately ,I've been experiencing some darkening of the upper right hand corner ..it is as though,the monitor has some burn marks.
I called NEC tech support ,ad they said that this issue is common for this model,and ,they offered very little support....

Hi Michael,

I'd be equally (or probably even more) aggravated by such a response. I tend to get quite obstinate* after such a response, after only a year's use. I use a LaCie monitor (which basically is a rebranded NEC, but not the very best units from the production line). The price differential makes up for the aggravation, although reports like yours make me reconsider if even LaCie branded NECs are worth sponsoring that company ...

(*) It's the same attitude that made me decide for the Canon platform some 30+ years ago (a Canon F1 back then) and, (today) as a 1Ds Mark III owner, I haven't regretted that decision a sngle second.

Bart

monitors

Bart
Thanks for your reply,
I've looked at a few LaCie's,and was not aware that they are low end rebranded nec's,......another eye opener...good info.

I converted to canon,about 8/9 years ago,after using nikon and leica film cameras for years...recently got a used 5D for christmas,and now ,more than ever,getting fanatical on the amazing detail a full frame camera can produce,when matched with the few L lenses I have.

I'll look more at nec and a few HP's ....and keep my fingers crossed

Mike