Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Image Processing and Workflow

Image Processing and Workflow RAW, DNG , TIFF and JPG. From Capture to Ready for Publish/Display. All software and techniques used within an image workflow, (except extensive retouching and repair or DAM).

Old September 10th, 2018, 11:02 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Your choice of RAW processing software? Measures of RAW processing

What are your “go to” programs?

When and why?

Did you discover test comparisons with common images, you did it yourself or went with the opinions of those you respect?

.......Has Imatest, or any other such authority, devised an algorithm for rating the quality of RAW processing, or are we only left with visual impressions and opinions?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 11th, 2018, 08:52 AM

I started out beta testing for Pixmantec's RawShooter. When Adobe was developing Lightroom, they bought Pixmantec and brought on board some of the RawShooter beta team.

I have been using Lightroom ever since.
Old September 11th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Administrator

I use Lightroom and at the same time Photoshop CC...

Plug ins ? Just Nik Collection.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
Old September 11th, 2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Mitchell View Post
I started out beta testing for Pixmantec's RawShooter. When Adobe was developing Lightroom, they bought Pixmantec and brought on board some of the RawShooter beta team.

I have been using Lightroom ever since.
I have used Phase One Capture One for cataloging and then Capture One for RAW processing until I discovered that Capture One didn’t process Fuji GFX 50 S files!

Now I use Adobe Camera RAW in Photoshop CC. I have never tried Lightroom as Photoshop “works” and I didn’t see the point of using a software that didn’t have layers!

However, now my Catalog files in Media Pro are too big and unstable, so I am considering Lightroom Classic CC for cataloging.

Can’t see how one ingest files. In Media Pro, it was easy, just drag and drop!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 11th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Administrator

LR allows to keyword - like Camera Raw - to make Collections and "prepare" the images to CR.
If we open a file in CR after adjusting it in LR these adjustments are there. And, using Smart Objects - in CC - in a big bonus at the cost of much weight...

I use both and I am used both. Perhaps these days I have a little mess on the Keywords... Shame on me !

But if I want to see a photo of me - just as example - LR picks those taken when I was 2 years old and that one shot a few moments ago !
Good ! I like that !

"Tartu" is the dog. Perhaps two years old...

Old September 11th, 2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
LR allows to keyword - like Camera Raw - to make Collections and "prepare" the images to CR.
If we open a file in CR after adjusting it in LR these adjustments are there. And, using Smart Objects - in CC - in a big bonus at the cost of much weight...

I use both and I am used both. Perhaps these days I have a little mess on the Keywords... Shame on me !

But if I want to see a photo of me - just as example - LR picks those taken when I was 2 years old and that one shot a few moments ago !
Good ! I like that !

"Tartu" is the dog. Perhaps two years old...

Great kid! Any resemblance to your son?

Asher

Old September 11th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Administrator

I am afraid my son doesn't look like me, when I was this age !

:)
Old October 10th, 2018, 06:49 AM

Since Capture NX (from Nikon) was abandoned, I looked for a new software.
After some personal tests and some tips from friends, I finally chose Capture One for two reasons:
- the quality of the color rendering
- The possibility of working without catalog

I also had the opportunity to use the tethered mode, to control the camera from the software. In the studio it's really great.

I uploaded some tutorials about Capture One, especially for beginners.

--
Alain - Portfolio
Old October 10th, 2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Pré View Post
Since Capture NX (from Nikon) was abandoned, I looked for a new software.
After some personal tests and some tips from friends, I finally chose Capture One for two reasons:
- the quality of the color rendering
- The possibility of working without catalog

I also had the opportunity to use the tethered mode, to control the camera from the software. In the studio it's really great.

I uploaded some tutorials about Capture One, especially for beginners.

--
Alain - Portfolio
Alain,

I am suitably impressed by your beautiful tutorials, albeit not in my mother tongue, English! Did I miss a button for language choice. I enjoy speaking french and it’s beautiful to read and discover “N&B”. I understand but wish it was in English too!

Asher

Old October 12th, 2018, 10:28 AM

I use Capture One at during capture, Adobe RAW and PS during post processing. The ease of workflow and having all the tools I need are the reasons why.
Old October 12th, 2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Thomason View Post
I use Capture One at during capture, Adobe RAW and PS during post processing. The ease of workflow and having all the tools I need are the reasons why.
So you work mostly tethered or you also use an iPhone app as a trigger?

What camera system?

Asher