• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Broken Dreams

Chris Calohan

Are dreams only a human trait?

8452475668_b3251598e1_o.jpg

Chris Calohan: Broken Dreams

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Are dreams only a human trait?

8452475668_b3251598e1_o.jpg

Chris Calohan: Broken Dreams

Children stare out of windows waiting for their daddy to come home. Maybe he's at war, maybe held up at work or is sharing a few drinks at a bar. Dogs have feelings too. They are bred to treat us a friends and make just as strong bonds, perhaps even less fickle. This fellow is waiting and expects someone he trusts and relies on!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher: I invite you to revisit this image as there is more here than meets the first eye.

Chris,

Is the dog past of the reflections in a glass door? I see the trees to the right. But the dog image seems to be so real!! That's the dilemma about looks. Are we looking in or out? When we meet at a stranger for the first time, we look within ourselves and take out of the library the best fits to what we see and imagine some character we fuse with the person, about whom we no nothing at all.

Asher

Chris Calohan

I got a little ticked at some comments made on another forum because instead of them asking the questions you have, they panned it as a nice doggie picture and went about their own way.

To me, if one has to pound a two by four across someone's head to view my images, then either I've gone so far off the reservation as to have no hope of returning, or the viewer is too lazy to take a moment ans engage in the image.

In this case, I felt the viewers were being lazy and in their minds if it wasn't in your face obvious, it wasn't worth a look. This as much as any of three or four other reasons is why I retired from teaching this year - "why don't you just tell me the answer, why do I have to figure it out for myself?"

So, as I put it to them, but certainly not to you or this forum, this version is for the reading imapired. They won't get it...and so it goes.

8452814919_effb244780_o.jpg

"Expectations"
Chris Calohan​

Asher Kelman

I got a little ticked at some comments made on another forum because instead of them asking the questions you have, they panned it as a nice doggie picture and went about their own way.

To me, if one has to pound a two by four across someone's head to view my images, then either I've gone so far off the reservation as to have no hope of returning, or the viewer is too lazy to take a moment ans engage in the image.

In this case, I felt the viewers were being lazy and in their minds if it wasn't in your face obvious, it wasn't worth a look. This as much as any of three or four other reasons is why I retired from teaching this year - "why don't you just tell me the answer, why do I have to figure it out for myself?"

So, as I put it to them, but certainly not to you or this forum, this version is for the reading imapired. They won't get it...and so it goes.

8452814919_effb244780_o.jpg

"Expectations"
Chris Calohan​

Chris,

The trees seem reflected on to the curtain, therefore it would appear that the curtain is behind the glass. I haven't found reflections from trees over the dog, so perhaps the dog is a reflection too. Then I still haven't fathomed out that dark face in the lower right!

Asher

Chris Calohan

Smile- have you calibrated your monitor, lately? -Smile

The cracks in the persplex go all the way through both dogs in various places so they have tobe behind and not in front.

Asher Kelman

Smile- have you calibrated your monitor, lately? -Smile

Chris,

I sit at my wife's iMac with a little heater and near my tea kettle, for most of my OPFing, LOL! My calibrated monitors are in my office upstairs! I'll look at this a little later. I'm about to visit the Getty with Mickey Adair. He's the one who photographs many prominent leaders, writers, civil rights leaders and personalities who's in LA at this time.

I'll recalibrate my Eizo just for you when I return!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Tonight, I see quite clearly, that face is another pooch, LOL! Now how could I have thought it was human! I guess that earlier today, the black of the nose did not show up!

Asher

Like Asher, I missed the black dog in the first photo initially, mainly, I think because I was trying to figure out what the white dog behind the window was "dreaming" about, given the title. A dog behind a broken window dreaming of impossible freedom, or its owner returning, perhaps. The title focussed attention on the cognitive processes of the dog to the detriment of an inspection of the picture as a whole. Had the picture got no title, I think I'd have seen the black dog sooner.

Very nice photo, though, that raised all kinds of questions, especially for a dog lover like me. Cheers, Mike

Jarmo Juntunen

Chris, how typical for most internet forums! Majority of photo forums frequenters seem to be hobbyists who mostly care about gear and software, not a good story (nothing wrong with being a hobbyist, I'm one, too!). Give them food for thought and they tell you your wb is off!

You've presented a good story or two here. Off course dogs dream too! These two seem to be day dreamers. Looks like the furry white guy runs the operation, while fierce looking fellow is the follower, lol!