• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Equus Cornu

Matt Halstead

Hi guys,

I normally shoot portraits so 'still life' is something new. I photographed this at a local antique fair:

10755860843_b133842b54_b.jpg

Kind regards,

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi Matt,

I'm no still life expert - but love the shot and the subject. Was the lighting your own, or something already setup?

Andrew.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
That's not a scientific name for a fictitious animal is it, Matt? Unicorn is good. Let's not give a hint of credibility by drawing on science for nomenclature.

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Did they not have fictional creatures when Latin was being used? I'm fairly certain that Latin is allowed to be used without the assumption you're being scientific :)

Given the fact that someone has obviously gone to the trouble (for whatever reason!) of trying to create a realistic looking skull, I think it's quite nice to play along tie by using the latin name.

Mais, bien-sur c'est un unus cornu!

Also imaged by Leonardo Da Vinci, so Matt is in good company.

From Leonardo Da Vinci's notebooks, translated: "The unicorn, through its intemperance and not knowing how to control itself, for the love it bears to fair maidens forgets its ferocity and wildness; and laying aside all fear it will go up to a seated damsel and go to sleep in her lap, and thus the hunters take it."

Cheers,
Bart

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Did they not have fictional creatures when Latin was being used? I'm fairly certain that Latin is allowed to be used without the assumption you're being scientific :)

Given the fact that someone has obviously gone to the trouble (for whatever reason!) of trying to create a realistic looking skull, I think it's quite nice to play along tie by using the latin name.

The Linnaeus nomenclature system was instigated in the 18th C, Andrew, and has developed into the system we use today for providing scientific classification to organisms. It's not Latin any more, it's science. Most of the modern names have a Latin flavor but don't exist in the Latin language. It's not meant to be Latin, although some terminology has Latin derivatives as does a lot of our languages.
I was sarcastically suggesting that some dodo might mistake the skull in question for a real one. You know how gullible people can be.
It was, as usual, my poor sense of timing in delivering the punch line.
Now you can laugh!

Cheers
Tom

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The Linnaeus nomenclature system was instigated in the 18th C, Andrew, and has developed into the system we use today for providing scientific classification to organisms. It's not Latin any more, it's science. Most of the modern names have a Latin flavor but don't exist in the Latin language. It's not meant to be Latin, although some terminology has Latin derivatives as does a lot of our languages.
I was sarcastically suggesting that some dodo might mistake the skull in question for a real one. You know how gullible people can be.
It was, as usual, my poor sense of timing in delivering the punch line.
Now you can laugh!

Cheers
Tom

I hope your timing is better after dark, LOL!

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Tom - fear not, I was laughing already. Was feeling a little mischievous with my original reply :) Never really realised that the scientific notation had simply adopted Latin, so have learnt something new there.

Andrew

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom - fear not, I was laughing already. Was feeling a little mischievous with my original reply :) Never really realised that the scientific notation had simply adopted Latin, so have learnt something new there.

Andrew

Now that I know you have a mischievous side I'll be more considerate, Andrew.

Guess you all missed something.

here

Hi Michael,

There are always at least 2 options, either the object was doctored before photography, or it was doctored after photography, AKA post-processing.

A third option, that the object was not doctored, was rejected as a valid option. The third option, that it was real, requires more evidence as it is rather unlikely (but there is possibly always a first observation possible, new species are discovered regularly).

Cheers,
Bart

Last edited: