• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Painterly and Abstract Images: What Might They Be?

Ben Lifson

Painterly: A Classic Definition

from the art historian Charles de Tolnay, from his History and Technique of Old Master Drawing, whose comments and explanations of the power of drawing are of great use to photographers, since photography was originally (and rightly) perceived to be a branch of drawing.

The text below is two dense paragraphs from his book. I've broken them up into units of thought, for easier reading.

de Tolnay actually calls the method Pictorialist but when I give examples of Heinrich Wolfllin's definitions of painterly (as soon as I can find them in my folders) you'll see that de Tolnay's Pictorialism and Wolfflin's Painterly are the same thing.

de Tolnay:

The pictorialist method...takes the surface [of the work: the paper] as a symbol of concrete space saturated with light and atmosphere.....objects are no longer isolated but seem to be enveloped by this atmosphere and to share its life. Sometimes they are so completely absorbed that they no longer seem solid but simple condensations of the atmosphere itself.

The entire drawing is a homogeneous unity differentiated only by subtle values. Contours have their significance as limits. They are dissolved into little flecks or points. The modeling often passes through the forms with no regard for their limits, thus transforming them into degrees of light and darkness. Instead of lines one sees masses.

Touch always devours line, says Baudelaire.

The untouched paper gives the impression of light and, together with the dark touches, creates a pictorial effect.

In this method the artist no longer concentrates upon the isolated forms but upon the total effect. He abandons the anthropocentric for the cosmocentric point of view. He contemplates the spectacle of nature as it actually appears to him.

As Baudelaire said,

Colorists draw like nature, their figures are naturally compromised by the harmonious battle of colored masses.

Artists who work in this method must renounce precision in their characterization of individual objects, but they gain a greater exactitude in the characterization of the whole. They renounce the truth of detail in order to seek the truth of the Infinite.

The many excellent examples of painterly (or pictorial) drawing in de Tolnay's book at once clarify and support this definition.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
OK, how about this for an image that represents an abstraction through utter simplification.

The image used on the cover of the late Harry Callahan's "Elemental Landscapes". (Sorry, I do not have a direct link to the image.) I have seen the original prints of this image many times and, although it represents something real, Harry's method of photographing and printing the image has abstracted the subject to its most elemental form. Curiously, nobody seems to know exactly what it is, even folks who knew and studied under Harry at the time. It's generally accepted that it's a dried weed in the snow. He created quite a few other similar images during this same period which are equally simplified. His images of phone or electrical wires slicing through a white sky may be familiar to some here.

Rather like Picasso's "Every picture starts from something" remark, I believe that the images by Harry Callahan represent abstractions. They are not distortions of the subject, merely simplifications.

Ray West

Hi Charles,

you were merely involved in producing that image, the moth was committed. It throws up, in a small mothlike way, another boundary to think of - suffering for one's art is yet another...

Best wishes,
Ray

Hi Charles,

you were merely involved in producing that image, the moth was committed. It throws up, in a small mothlike way, another boundary to think of - suffering for one's art is yet another...

Best wishes,
Ray

Yep! I was just in the right spot at the right time. The moth would have fallen in and drowned whether or not I was there. I claim no credit for the image, only for capturing it.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yep! I was just in the right spot at the right time. The moth would have fallen in and drowned whether or not I was there. I claim no credit for the image, only for capturing it.

There, Charles, I think you are mistakenly modest! For sure the moth had its fate, blown by the wind or out of strength. You, by contrast, had your vision.

All your experience, and capability were prepared and waiting for such moments. You compare what your see against your own unique library of images. You measure the worth against your asthetic values. You're thrilled! You are developing visions but things are happening too fast, you must act now before the moment is lost!

Now you take the picture!

The quality and nature of your vision really improves as you go on with other things, not even thinking about how to to make the picture! That intent fashions itself like a growing caterpillar long before the butterfly is formed. That is the complex nature of your picture-taking, making and delivery in what I have termed your "Arc of Intent". The fuel for this is your passion! If you can take no credit for taking the picture, then doctors should not be paid for diagnosing illnesses at a glance! After all the patient walks in the room and the doctor just has to look, often only for 5 seconds. They look for longer to make it seem non-trivial when they get the bill for $180!

So taking that picture is your achievement alone. This is a long way of saying thanks for posting! But how will/have you finish(ed) the picture? Do you have any more shots like this. I'd love to see more, much more!

Asher

A lot of hot air in those first two pages also Asher.

I don't miss that level of discussion here on OPF at all. I think the current crowd of participants are more about photography and less about talking about photography.

My $0.02 worth

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, if one shoots great images, one has a license to expound a little, just as the illiterate but brilliant tire salesman gets invited to the Board of Directors of the local Bank, hospital and high school!

Asher