Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Mirrorless Pro-Class Cameras with Interchangeable Lenses

Mirrorless Pro-Class Cameras with Interchangeable Lenses Sony A7, A7R and similar high end cameras that can serve as the sole cameras on Pro-event assignments.

Old June 30th, 2014, 05:58 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Failure to record Images on SD card in Sony A7r !! No card detected!!

When I first used the A7r everything worked as expected. Then for one test shoot, the images were not showing up on the card on my Macbook Pro. However, Capture One found them all. After that episode, all images were saved normally and popped up in the finder on my computer. Then I used the camera for scenics riverscapes. That was a disaster!!

To my astonishment, after I reviewed bird pictures taken with the Canon 5D III, I went to review the scenics with reflections of mangroves, shrubs and palms in the river, to find them all missing!

When I switched on the camera a message came up "no card detected" or words to that effect. But if the card is removed, then it just has a message in the lower right in red, "No Card".

Some previous test images taken in the early morning were there, but none from the trip!!

When I took the SD card out and just replaced it, it was recognized and the camera worked flawlessly!

The card was a Sandisk Extreme, 45MB/sec. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Hi Asher
I always format cards when I switch from a camera brand to another with the same card…
Never had that kind of problem.

PS I always format my cards before I use them, but only when files are properly backed-up (once on computer + once on external HD, a rule I NEVER bypass.)
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Claris View Post
Hi Asher
I always format cards when I switch from a camera brand to another with the same card…
Never had that kind of problem.

PS I always format my cards before I use them, but only when files are properly backed-up (once on computer + once on external HD, a rule I NEVER bypass.)
Me too Nicolas! I've never had this problem ever before. I'm going to try data recovery to see if the files are there in some hidden directory.

Thanks goodness I took a few riverscape pictures with the 70-200 on the 5DIII but needs stitching and that's what I thought to leave behind me with the Sony A7r's larger files.

So I have to be even more careful. I now check that the camera is recording after every few shots. I will but new cards devoted only to the Sony camera and see if it happens again.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 18th, 2014, 03:27 AM

Has this happened with only one card or multiple?
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
Has this happened with only one card or multiple?
Only one card! I now check every so often that the images are still there!

Asher

Old July 19th, 2014, 12:45 PM

If it happens again with that card I'd chuck it. Heck I'd have already chucked it. I've never seen or heard of this problem with the A7r. I have a feeling it's card based. Good luck!