• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Southern Bed

Charlotte Thompson

a painted bed outdoors I used and moved around to find an interesting piece
all comments and crits welcomed-

DSC_1509.jpg

DSC_1493.jpg

Charlotte Thompson

Doug
hi thank you for looking
the bed is for a child so yes you are right it's small it was drying after being freshly painted after which I thought I would move around to see what kind of art I could get out it-
I am afraid to sleep outside lol spiders and who knows what else- I have to be the pampered camper-

charlotte-

Dave McAllister

It's a weird juxtaposition to put a bed outdoors near weeds. I can see how some would like it from an artisitic point of view but it doesn't really do it for me. Maybe there's too much dissonance for me.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's a weird juxtaposition to put a bed outdoors near weeds. I can see how some would like it from an artisitic point of view but it doesn't really do it for me. Maybe there's too much dissonance for me.

Hi Dave,

I was at first troubled by your unsupportive remarks. However, you forced me to face a picture that I'd not have otherwise commented on. Yes, you are, IMHO, correct in this. There is in fact no connection I see between the parts in the picture.

Charlotte,

There's no apparent relationship between the bed and the weeds. The bed is clean and shows no evidence of weathering or patina of time. So it does not yet belong back in the natural world of wind, burning sun, rain, dirt, bird droppings, dust, snails, spiders and their shells of past meals.

When we have such dissonance we are immediately asked to think of a meaning or possible question being asked. Now, if there was a title that challenged us to a metaphorical stage and there were symbols we undersood, then, yes, this picture might work. However, in spite of a broad and deep education, I have no clue as to what this might mean. O.K., you can say, there is no meaning. There is no narrative, but this is art!

Well, then, if that's the case, then the composition, colors and textures must command attention without any instruction or based on some body of art that we might know. Here again this fails for me. I see no argument, tension or romance between the bed and the grass.

Art must be a unit of worth requiring nothing else but it's form and (perhaps our education in relation to some context) to work. It could be that I'm culturally unprepared. So apart from that caveat, I am left unmoved and unimpressed.

For me this is a surprise since I do like components. The bed is attractive and the weeds grass are always interesting textures. However, it's the artists job to get an esthetic conversation going and I hear nothing.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher
this was an experiment in composition- I find the off beat look to it interesting-
the weeds and the clean bed empty of its insides- as you know i love portraits and this giving me an exploration toward different ideas and insights- I know very well others may not consider this art and that's cool- just something other to dabble in from time to time- thanks for coming by and your thoughts they always help in my explorations-

Charlotte-