• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

ASCII, Unicode, and In Between - new technical article

Doug Kerr

In the context of this forum, most of our concern with computer systems lies in image manipulation. But we as well are concerned with character-organized information in many ways - in visible annotations in images, in metadata, and of course in many housekeeping aspects of computer operation.

We encounter a bewildering repertoire of coded character sets - ASCII, several "extended ASCII" character sets (with various names and identifiers), and Unicode, as well as the various Unicode encoding schemes (such as UTF-8 and UTF-16).

I have recently posted on my technical information site, The Pumpkin, a new technical article, "ASCII, Unicode, and In Between", available here:

http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/Index.htm#ASCII_Unicode

It describes what these character sets (and encodings) are and aren't, where they came from, how they are related, and some of their implications on various of our activities. Included is information on one of the schemes used on Windows machines for the entry of characters not directly accessible from the keyboard.

Best regards,

Doug

In the context of this forum, most of our concern with computer systems lies in image manipulation. But we as well are concerned with character-organized information in many ways - in visible annotations in images, in metadata, and of course in many housekeeping aspects of computer operation.

We encounter a bewildering repertoire of coded character sets - ASCII, several "extended ASCII" character sets (with various names and identifiers), and Unicode, as well as the various Unicode encoding schemes (such as UTF-8 and UTF-16).

I have recently posted on my technical information site, The Pumpkin, a new technical article, "ASCII, Unicode, and In Between", available here:

http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/Index.htm#ASCII_Unicode

It describes what these character sets (and encodings) are and aren't, where they came from, how they are related, and some of their implications on various of our activities. Included is information on one of the schemes used on Windows machines for the entry of characters not directly accessible from the keyboard.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your varied contributions.

Cheers,
Bart