• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Reflections

Still in La Défense, my favourite playground...

4e9db0b44b048c7e60302203c91f7ea.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alain Briot

pro member
Cedric,

Je prefere cette version:

4e9db0b44b048c7e60302203c91f7ea-AB-2.jpg

J'ai egalement photographie La Defense en de nombreuses occasions. Jacques Tati's film Playtime is a great inspiration in this regard. It is now available on DVD in the Criterion collection. Tati is to cinema what Cartier Bresson is to photography!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

I like the way you have used reflection to create a kind of natural impressionistic interpretation. There's far more. You have avoided the esthetics we expect for beauty. There's possible misfortune hovering in the sky. The receding immense buildings provide an impression of the vertical layered society. In a way, it's like the presentation in the Batman and Robin movies where, society has grown vertically to take over the skies and dominate those below.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Cedric,

Je prefere cette version:

4e9db0b44b048c7e60302203c91f7ea-AB-2.jpg

J'ai egalement photographie La Defense en de nombreuses occasions. Jacques Tati's film Playtime is a great inspiration in this regard. It is now available on DVD in the Criterion collection. Tati is to cinema what Cartier Bresson is to photography!

Alain,

I have no "Sophie's Choice" here! These are two different works. One has social implications to me and the other, your corrected version, is more agreeable, showing balancing and interesting forms with light as jewels and shadows as ribbons in a pageant.

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
To each his own. One of the essential keys to success is thinking positively. I find that social criticism focuses too much on the negative for my taste. Beauty on the other hand focuses on the positive.

I leave the negativity, and social criticism, to others. Have it all. Rest assured that you will not get competition from me here!

Asher Kelman

This original thread on Cedric's view of buildings in Paris' La Défense business area spawned a lively and important discussion on motivations, mood, success and more in Photography as Art. As with other robust daughter topics, it now has it's own place and can be found here.

We're now back to Cedric's photograph!

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Moving the discussion to a new thread is a good idea. However, it would be even a better idea if my posts to this new thread were posted! Since each post requires approval, they are not visible until approved. I have now posted two responses, none of which are visible....

Alain Briot

pro member
My apologies Alain,

I don't think we need to have approval for each post in that section. Yes, it does require that we keep the level of discussion higher there. Instead if posts are not to the point, they can be moved. I have approved your posts, of course, and I will now remove that need for approval altogether.

When this is understood I'll tidy up this thread again! :)

Thanks for bringing this oddity to my attention!

Asher

That's cool, and I appreciate that you approved my post.

But honestly, engaging in a discussion on a thread in which all posts have to be approved is just not fun. Plus, it's unpractical because there's no such thing as a quick post-answer in such a situation. Posts are approved sometimes much later than when they have been posted, and the delay "kills" the instant feedback. How would you like to participate in a dinner conversation in which all the interlocutors would have what they say approved before you can hear it, and furthermore approved by someone who isn't there right now necessarily? It would kill the desire, or even the capability, of conversing wouldn't it?

It sure does for me!

Asher Kelman

Cedric Massoulier: Reflections

La Défense, Paris

Cedric,

Coming back to your picture, the argument in bold lines appeals to me. The converging verticals of these commercial and business buildings are boldly cross with strong diagonals for the interior space but the exterior buildings stand firm. With the surface ripples, the components now are fused to one being, your image.

Now, when you were taking this picture, how much movng around did you do to get this particular composition or did you see and just grab it?

Asher

Hi,

In this image, buildings are reflecting in a pool : the strong diagonals are its borders. I made 3 or 4 attempts before i got one with which i was satisfied. As you maybe noticed, it is an inverted image, difficulty was to frame in the real sense and to imagine the result when inverted.

Regards,

Cedric.

Mark Hampton

Cedric Massoulier: Reflections

La Défense, Paris

I turned this the right way up ... then back the right way....

I quoted it so it would be next to my name ... I love it... I have not seen a massive amount of your work Cedric but what I have seen lifts me... I have no suggestions other than dont stop...