• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hidden Sunset

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Heres a sketch for a picture I'm making for several purposes: my artwork, as a b.g. for a composite and for renting out space for events.

This is just the center of the area of a larger image. 24mm TS lens used with no shift and stitched in portrait position.

S.Plaza_HDR2 copy_01 cropped with sky800pxl_01.jpg

Asher Kelman: Hidden Sunset at South Plaza ,

The Colburn School, Grand Avenue,
Los Angeles, August 29th 2010
Not for Copying/Editing

Just thought I'd share what I'm up to!

Asher

Jeremy Waller

Hi Asher,

Re: Hidden Sunset at South Plaza

Now your'e "cooking with gas".

The colours and the form all come together for me. This is the sought of picture that draws me in and demand I take a second look.

I really like it.

Jeremy.

Asher Kelman

Although this is part of the work in progress collection of pictures done for The Colburn School, here, this picture I also like for it's lighting and mood.

Thanks for looking,

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
The strong geometric shapes and the amped-up color push this image out to boundary of photography and bump up to that of illustration. I like it but can't help feeling it either needs (a) something in the foreground or (b) less foreground.

Asher Kelman

The strong geometric shapes and the amped-up color push this image out to boundary of photography and bump up to that of illustration. I like it but can't help feeling it either needs (a) something in the foreground or (b) less foreground.

Ken,

You are entirely correct in the feeling that there's a lot of stone. That's because this is also for rental of the area and I had to deliver something right now. There's a lot of red cones and other stuff to be removed to the right and I cropped the right side out. I simply didn't have enough sky. That I'll correct.

This is only the kernel of the project which is a long job. There are taller buildings to the right but I need to image them better.

As to the color, it's a little intense and in the end likely I'll pull back. Just without either the extra mages on the right and more sky I decided to make the image more intense right.

Still, I really love the magic I see there in the light coming from the far end of the plaza.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Ken,

I'm opportunistic! So all of the giant spaces are really also being prepared for populating with people posed for the purpose at the correct distance, angle and lighting. Then I build the composite. I am inspired by Peter Brueghel and want to exploit the ready supply of children, students, faculty, staff, cleaners, vagabonds, visitors and doting parents for more studied compositions. So I'm multitasking. I fulfill the practical need for all the pictures for brochures, campaigns, ads, banners and reports and at the same time I'm assembling a library of elements and have places for everyone. Some pictures will be repurposed by mostly will be reshot, inspired by my existing sketches and formal shoots and grab shots.

So I show a window on what I'm doing, like a peephole in a construction site!

I hope that the picture is sufficient to get a feeling of the grandeur of the place. The nice thing is that i'm not copying anyone taking pictures that have been seen before millions of times. I like wide angle compressed views.

Asher

Hi,

I particularly like this lonely tree in the center and these strong and hot colors !
Framing is good but maybe i would operate a slight shift towards the left to enhance dynamics and give relief to the tree.

Regards,

Cedric.

Asher Kelman

Hi,

I particularly like this lonely tree in the center and these strong and hot colors !
Framing is good but maybe i would operate a slight shift towards the left to enhance dynamics and give relief to the tree.

Regards,

Cedric.

Thanks Cedric for stopping by. It means a lot to me! I did think about that tree having almost a driving life form of it's own, silhouetted against the bright last light of the evening. The light playing on the stone helps to make the tree that more important than everything else.

Your idea of the shift to the left is a good one, but there is simply hardly any space between the tree and the wall, but I should certainly try that.

Asher