• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A day at the beach

Cem_Usakligil

f27182.jpg

A day at the beach

Cheers,

Last edited:

Jarmo Juntunen

Hi Cem! Nice, I like the touch of black humour in this one. Looks like an ideal holiday resort for someone else, doesn't it?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
f27182.jpg

Cheers,​

A day at the beach

Hi Cem! Nice, I like the touch of black humour in this one. Looks like an ideal holiday resort for someone else, doesn't it?

Jarmo,

Your remarks gets to Cem's often used contrasts: one set of "being" to another. We feel the absurdity of coming to a beach for relaxation right at the junction of the waterway and industrially dominated land. There's no gate or doorway between these two stares of being, perhaps because, in fact, the rag tag beach is already subservient to the industrial area. The sign "no swimming" effectively says that.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Hope

This is so different than my definition of beach. But what I like is that it almost appears that this is last chance beach or an imposter. You can't swim, there are no waves or surfers. It's like the consolation prize - it will do, you won, but the real thing would be nice.

Lots of emotion and thinking with this!

Asher Kelman

This is so different than my definition of beach. But what I like is that it almost appears that this is last chance beach or an imposter. You can't swim, there are no waves or surfers. It's like the consolation prize - it will do, you won, but the real thing would be nice.

Lots of emotion and thinking with this!

Kathy,

"You can't swim, there are no waves or surfers". T.S. Elliott, an educated, brilliant, erudite, (but in his politics and personal prejudice, a vile), man, wrote in the epic poem, "The Wasteland",

Out of this stony rubbish?Son of man,
You cannot say, or guess, for you know only
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,
And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,
And the dry stone no sound of water. Only
There is shadow under this red rock,
(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

He foresaw our failure to look after the land and thus lose it.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher, Jarmo, John and Kathy,

Thanks a lot for commenting, much appreciated. I guess I should tell you a bit more about this image.

It is indeed about things such as absurdity, black humour, contradictions, layers of (dis)connection, ambiguity, etc. Asher has pretty much described my built-in preference to seek out contrasts and to picture them. I should say that I was pleased how it all came together in this photo. Perhaps it is my homage to Martin Parr who is one of my favorite photographers.

@Asher: thanks for the T.S. Elliot poem :)

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Cem,

Was there another picture here too?

I'd be interested to know if it was just of a flower or something nice?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

Yes there were other pictures. But I am intrigued, why do you ask? Especially for something "nice"? :)

Cheers,

Cem,

There are always two sides. One the one hand you look to see where we are now after all out history and where we might be going and then you might buy your wife a new scarf or stop and admire a painting. So I felt there were other pictures of now, of what you might really cherish or find fun that we don't yet see.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

There are always two sides. One the one hand you look to see where we are now after all out history and where we might be going and then you might buy your wife a new scarf or stop and admire a painting. So I felt there were other pictures of now, of what you might really cherish or find fun that we don't yet see.

Asher
Yes indeed. For every picture shared there are many others which are never shown. The philosophical question one may ask is: how much is a photographer expected to show both sides of any story? Perhaps worth discussing in another thread....

Cheers,