• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Backward Lilies

Robert Watcher

I quite often take closeups of flowers I come upon - but generally from the front showing maybe the stamen and pistils. All that is out right now though are lilies, and I have quite a few shots of them that work for me.

So this evening while grabbing a few more pics of some large yellow lilies, I remembered a couple of years ago taking a shot of some flowers on our porch - but the view was from behind - - - and it really worked in that case.

So being that the flowers were all facing the setting sun, I decided to take a shot or two from the back of the flower bed - facing toward the sun. Again, I liked what I got and spiced it up with some artistic processing. Taken with my Olymus E-PL3 and 40-150 lens @ 66mm : f8 @ 1/160'th : 1250 ISO

13420656959585_lilies.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I quite often take closeups of flowers I come upon - but generally from the front showing maybe the stamen and pistils. All that is out right now though are lilies, and I have quite a few shots of them that work for me.

So this evening while grabbing a few more pics of some large yellow lilies, I remembered a couple of years ago taking a shot of some flowers on our porch - but the view was from behind - - - and it really worked in that case.

So being that the flowers were all facing the setting sun, I decided to take a shot or two from the back of the flower bed - facing toward the sun. Again, I liked what I got and spiced it up with some artistic processing.

13420656959585_lilies.jpg

Robert Watcher: Backward Lillies

Olymus E-PL3 and 40-150 lens @ 66mm : f8 @ 1/160'th : 1250 ISO

Rob,.

I too like to get behind the flowers. One gets translucence and the sky too if one is lucky. What did you do to the picture besides the ragged border? It has the look of a picture taken from an old frame in a country cottage.

The file is excellent. What was your goal here with your corrections?

Asher

Robert Watcher

The effect I was after - one that I have used before for it's subtle and muted look - is one of a fine art paper texture. I print most of my images for wall art, and this type of image looks wonderful on some of the thick Hahnemuhle papers that I use. This 100% crop will give you an idea of the texture in the shot.

13420912003671_P1011588.jpg

Lovely photo and I like how you lowered the contrast and the clarity to create a really dreamy feel. I also am a backward photo taker or with the sun shining from behind and through the petals.

I notice around your border treatment a bleed of some light green, intentional?