• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

War on Terror unmask fear

Charlotte Thompson

For Asher K. I made the scary print only it is a poster print against fear and terrorism. From the print " A Christmas Past "

War on Terror
unmask fear​

Charlotte Thompson

This is merely an attempt to understand terrorism... which is built on fear... they want us to fear them . This print is based on that idea Take the Mask off of fear and you find intelligence. I think this print is very misunderstood.. we fear what we do not understand.

C.

Michael Nagel

Interesting approach.

The meaning and the use of the words terror and terrorism changed over the centuries.
Reading about the different uses and historical aspects was a good thing to do.

Best regards,
Michael

Charlotte Thompson

Thank you Michael
n its broadest sense, terrorism is any act designed to cause terror.[1] In a narrower sense, terrorism can be understood to feature a political objective. The word terrorism is politically loaded and emotionally charged.[2]

A broad array of political organizations have practised terrorism to further their objectives. It has been practised by both right-wing and left-wing political parties, nationalist groups, religious groups, revolutionaries, and ruling governments.[3] The symbolism of terrorism can exploit human fear to help achieve these goals.[4]

Exactly my point- Charlotte

ps and thank you for a first brave comment!

Last edited:

Michael Nagel

Hello Charlotte,

That's pretty much what I see as well.

For me there is something disturbing about the expression 'war on terror' as war is already a situation that terrorizes.

Could it be that anything that helps people to feel less terrorized would be a more efficient way to counter terrorism as it aims the desired effect (people, organizations terrorized and acting less logical and sane in consequence) and thus taking away the the prize for those trying to use terror for their goals?

In Germany there is a saying 'Angst ist ein schlechter Ratgeber' which means 'Fear is a bad counselor'

I know this is easy to say/write, but it is just a thought.

Merry Christmas to you and everybody reading!

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
For Asher K. I made the scary print only it is a poster print against fear and terrorism. From the print " A Christmas Past "

War on Terror
unmask fear​
I apologize for being late, but, dear Charlotte, cannot improve on Michael's thoughts.

I can, however add the remark I heard in an interfaith service to celebrate "Peace", after one religious person after another expressed commitment to their faith as a way and guide to end terror and reach peace.

She said, "There is no "path" to peace, peace is the path to peace!

Charlotte you picked a tough subject but gave us at least an impetus to ask ourselves the toughest questions!

Man is the most efficient destroyer and yet a fabulous negotiator. Neither capability works well in our current "war on terror".

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am thinking that perhaps being terrorized by a group is akin to seeing scores of vulnerable men women and children struggling in the water.

Wishing them well and praying for them from the safety of dry land is all well and good. But to end the plight of the terrified folk, these struggling folk either need to drown, or someone has to get themselves in the water and then be powerful enough to rescue them.

One can of course carpet bomb the water or else drop candies and sandwiches from the air!

Asher

James Lemon

I am thinking that perhaps being terrorized by a group is akin to seeing scores of vulnerable men women and children struggling in the water.

Wishing them well and praying for them from the safety of dry land is all well and good. But to end the plight of the terrified folk, these struggling folk either need to drown, or someone has to get themselves in the water and then be powerful enough to rescue them.

One can of course carpet bomb the water or else drop candies and sandwiches from the air!

Asher

There is much more money to be made from war, death and destruction. I am talking about a 30 percent return on your money year to date. Defense contractors that build drones and all kinds of fancy gadgets to cause chaos. Dropping sandwiches and clothes would be more like a bait a switch program. Kind of like having someone come to your house and drink all your wine with you and steal your wallet in the process and then come back the next day to help you look for your wallet.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
How poignant, Charlotte. Your sentiments and those of others is shared here at a number of levels.
In Australia at the monemt we are dealing with a number of 'terror' attacks at different levels. Besides the politically motivated, religious fanaticism and just shear hatred of all things beyound ones reach, we have the personal terror for families occurring every day.
It is Domestic Violence.
This year we have had 7500 deaths associated with domestic violence. Most are women killed by men they know and have or have had a relationship with.
Its not just the women who suffer here. Whole families are destroyed, children loose their innocence and men are catagorized as objects to be feared.
Christine has been subject to this in the past. She knows first hand how terror can rule a life. Even now she still has moment where the fear surfaces and she becomes afraid of me, not for what I have done but for what has been done to her in the past. A gesture, a word, an action, innocent as it is can remind her of the terror she suffered at the hands of another person.
I can't imagine what it is like to live with that. Even now she still blames herself for the actions of a maniac she once lived with who controlled every move she made with terror and fear.
I can only give her protection from the outside, not from the inside. She is learning to undo the internal damage but it will probably follow her to the grave.
The most devastating impact of fear and terror is its permanency.

How poignant, Charlotte. Your sentiments and those of others is shared here at a number of levels.
In Australia at the monemt we are dealing with a number of 'terror' attacks at different levels. Besides the politically motivated, religious fanaticism and just shear hatred of all things beyound ones reach, we have the personal terror for families occurring every day.
It is Domestic Violence.
This year we have had 7500 deaths associated with domestic violence. Most are women killed by men they know and have or have had a relationship with.
Its not just the women who suffer here. Whole families are destroyed, children loose their innocence and men are catagorized as objects to be feared.
Christine has been subject to this in the past. She knows first hand how terror can rule a life. Even now she still has moment where the fear surfaces and she becomes afraid of me, not for what I have done but for what has been done to her in the past. A gesture, a word, an action, innocent as it is can remind her of the terror she suffered at the hands of another person.
I can't imagine what it is like to live with that. Even now she still blames herself for the actions of a maniac she once lived with who controlled every move she made with terror and fear.
I can only give her protection from the outside, not from the inside. She is learning to undo the internal damage but it will probably follow her to the grave.
The most devastating impact of fear and terror is its permanency.

Australians are not alone. There is a certain hell perpetrated against women all over this world. Men should stand up and defeat it. There can be no tolerance for terror. Give Christine another hug.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Australians are not alone. There is a certain hell perpetrated against women all over this world. Men should stand up and defeat it. There can be no tolerance for terror. Give Christine another hug.

I know this is not a local event, nor is it a hiccup in our cultural behaviour. There are many examples world wide where women are placed into a position of subservience, either mentally or physically, under religious pretence or just plain greed.
Many of these attitudes are reinforced by the politics or religion and excused on the basis that its 'their' business and we shouldn't interfer or speak out.
Yet when women come from other places and their men continue to place place expectations on women that are not tolerated in the new environment.
Men are the greatest perpetrators of domestic violence and restrictions of women. Historically, this has been consistent through the ages. It is so ingrained in our culture it may take a nuclear demolition to remove it.
There is so much we can do. On a personal level I can only reassure Christine of her worth by active participation in her well being.
On a broader scale, men can be visible in their fight to prevent violence against women.
On a political level, laws care being passed which will make a difference.
Women also need to stand up and be counted, but I can understand how hard that can be after a lifetime of persecution.
And its not just the big things. Its the very expectation that men have of women. As innocent as it might seem, anything which removes the choice from a person, let alone a woman, is to be scrutinised and terminated.

Being married to Christine has been an eye opener for me. I didn't realise what an ****, male, chauvinist pig I was until it was explained to me. Now I'm the biggest advocate for dealing with family violence and the rights of women.
Mind you, I still like the look of a nice pair of tits and a firm arse, but as I say to Christine, "Not as good as yours my dear"

Charlotte Thompson

Interesting comments and every person has his ideas How wonderful to have such discussions!

I am reminded of this quote-

The basis of optimism is sheer terror.
Oscar Wilde

Charlotte-