• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Urban Abstract Series

Zeeshan Ali

I have been away from the forum for quite a while and actually hadn't photographed much the last couple of years. But after much contemplation and thinking through why I got into photography in the first place, I picked up the camera again and roamed the streets of Toronto. I had always been fascinated by abstract and the streets of Toronto breathed a new life into my passion. So much so that I have now been working on several different series of images that all fall into the abstract and minimalism category.

I was puzzled which series should I show first in this forum and then decided to post images that started it all. This is an ongoing series and complete set of photographs can be seen here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsktaRPte

Comments and feedback is welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeeshan Ali

Thank you Wolfgang and Asher for your feedback.

Asher: It certainly is a fruitful exercise. What did you think of the photographs?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thank you Wolfgang and Asher for your feedback.

Asher: It certainly is a fruitful exercise. What did you think of the photographs?

Zeeahan,

I was puzzled and distracted by the individual beauty of the artifacts you photographed. I was flummoxed as I had no idea then of the back story, just that you liked abstracts. I wondered how to evaluate work that I thought were samples of modern abstract art yo discovered in various public buildings.

Now I realize that you have chosen carefully from residuals of various painting jobs or constructions accidentally giving some abstraction that caught your eye.

I am very impressed.

It would be fabulous to have a few examples of the environmental context of a few of the lieces in the place you discovered them.

Asher

Zeeshan Ali

Zeeahan,

I was puzzled and distracted by the individual beauty of the artifacts you photographed. I was flummoxed as I had no idea then of the back story, just that you liked abstracts. I wondered how to evaluate work that I thought were samples of modern abstract art yo discovered in various public buildings.

Now I realize that you have chosen carefully from residuals of various painting jobs or constructions accidentally giving some abstraction that caught your eye.

I am very impressed.

It would be fabulous to have a few examples of the environmental context of a few of the lieces in the place you discovered them.

Asher

Thank you Asher for your insight and feedback. Most of the photographs in this series are real close-ups of graffiti and random paint sprayed/splashed on walls in Kensington Market of Toronto. I don't have many examples of the environment I photographed them in as the intention was not to merely document the environment but rather look really close to find contrasting colors and shapes to bring out abstract forms.

Below are the 2 wide photos that may qualify as the environment I took the abstract photographs in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

Thank you Asher for your insight and feedback. Most of the photographs in this series are real close-ups of graffiti and random paint sprayed/splashed on walls in Kensington Market of Toronto. I don't have many examples of the environment I photographed them in as the intention was not to merely document the environment but rather look really close to find contrasting colors and shapes to bring out abstract forms.

Below are the 2 wide photos that may qualify as the environment I took the abstract photographs in.

Zeeshan,

These are so enjoyable. A lot of stories and street life behind these decaying paintings by graffiti artists!

It seems that you have a wonderful resource here for several kinds of work. First the series of sampled our components that you carefully selected, next street scenes showing something of the environment of the street art and lastly, which you have not shared yet, the denizens of the neighborhood!

You could devote months here and you would still have more to do.

This is a far richer exercise than I had imagined and you are making great use of such a wonderful opportunity. Amazing that potentially you could go from abstractions, through examining the nature of this physical world of an inner city and finally to touch on the characters there and some of their life, joys and pain.

I am not saying you should do the latter, but it does seem worthy of your consideration. I look forward to much more from this series!

Great job!

Asher

Last edited:

Andy brown

Zeeshan, I like all the images but the last two are more powerful. They start to tell the story and Asher said, there appears to be fertile ground for your imagination.

Zeeshan Ali

Zeeshan, I like all the images but the last two are more powerful. They start to tell the story and Asher said, there appears to be fertile ground for your imagination.

Thank you Andy. I hadn't actually processed those last two images until last night and I shot them in November of last year. Glad Asher asked for some environmental context for the abstract images. It makes me want to go back to the RAW files to look at what else I photographed that could fit the environmental context for the series.

Zeeshan Ali

Zeeshan,

These are so enjoyable. A lot of stories and street life behind these decaying paintings by graffiti artists!

It seems that you have a wonderful resource here for several kinds of work. First the series of sampled our components that you carefully selected, next street scenes showing something of the environment of the street art and lastly, which you have not shared yet, the denizens of the neighborhood!

You could devote months here and you would still have more to do.

This is a far richer exercise than I had imagined and you are making great use of such a wonderful opportunity. Amazing that potentially you could go from abstractions, through examining the nature of this physical world of an inner city and finally to touch on the characters there and some of their life, joys and pain.

I am not saying you should do the latter, but it does seem worthy of your consideration. I look forward to much more from this series!

Great job!

Asher

Thank you Asher. You have a wonderful way of articulating your feedback. I haven't met too many people who actually go into the context and stories behind images. That's one thing that frustrates me about Flickr. Even in the most revered critique groups, you get technical feedback and that's basically just it. I appreciate your insight and genuine interest in discussing about vision behind the photographs.

I have never felt comfortable photographing people. There's something internal that keeps me from pointing the camera to someone's face. I am one of those who feel awkward in the company of a stranger and perhaps that's what led me to photograph abstract and non-people images.

There definitely is a lot of potential to photograph various things in this neighborhood. Its interesting when you mentioned to touch upon characters in this neighborhood and their pain and joys of life. I have actually been compiling images from the same neighborhood for another series titled "Creatures of Decay". This series does have characters but they are the faces you find in decay on walls. They are the characters that exhibit my internal dilemmas and speak in a visual language about emotions I feel. I will share that series in a separate thread.

Asher Kelman

Thank you Asher. You have a wonderful way of articulating your feedback. I haven't met too many people who actually go into the context and stories behind images. That's one thing that frustrates me about Flickr. Even in the most revered critique groups, you get technical feedback and that's basically just it. I appreciate your insight and genuine interest in discussing about vision behind the photographs.

We want to encourage folk to look around when on their own path in life!

I have never felt comfortable photographing people. There's something internal that keeps me from pointing the camera to someone's face. I am one of those who feel awkward in the company of a stranger and perhaps that's what led me to photograph abstract and non-people images.

Then photograph the environment that happens to contain people, but do it from across the street. That way, you get the neighborhood and the denizens who pass through. You do not need to point your camera at people, just frame the scene well and let folk come in and leave without bothering too much. Eventually you will have caught a great step, a commanding expression or a mother schlepping her unwilling child. I sometimes buy a coffee, park myself at an outside table and aim for a pedestrian crossing. It's a matter of practice.

Some photographers, such as Antonio Correia, get to know their human subjects and arrange a studio portrait. Tom dinning might just wander around a favorite locale and shoot what's interesting, but without necessarily explaining to anyone what on earth he's aiming for. James Lemon does both. He takes pictures of someone that looks interesting but he will more often stop them and get their nod of consent. Fahim Mohammed, OTOH, is a social being who engages with the folk he meets and bonds with them. Robert Watcher even returns to give them prints!

I once chose a place in a outside café ing Budapest adjacent to the path folk walk on the Buda side of the river and framed one low lying area on the ground, catching just the feet and shadows. I can do the same just aiming somewhere off the axis to faces. You see, just pointing the lens away from people, means that even if they see the camera, it is not pointing at their actual face. So if you aim for a tree at the same distance to the oncoming flow of people, then they will feel comfortable as you have not inserted your camera into their own frame of reference. For this, a 35mm or 24 mm lens is perfect if you are 3-6 meters away. For longer distances, a 50-100 mm lens might be better. You will never be comfortable until you prove to yourself that you can do this without others being impacted in anyway.

The great advantage of not stopping the person and posing them is that they are images as they really are when they are in their own world. When one greets them, one has a shot of their social expressions and that is entirely constructed. Not worse, but very different.

There definitely is a lot of potential to photograph various things in this neighborhood. Its interesting when you mentioned to touch upon characters in this neighborhood and their pain and joys of life. I have actually been compiling images from the same neighborhood for another series titled "Creatures of Decay". This series does have characters but they are the faces you find in decay on walls. They are the characters that exhibit my internal dilemmas and speak in a visual language about emotions I feel. I will share that series in a separate thread.

In mining for gold, one takes the nuggets of all shapes and sizes! Shooting in a neighbor hood you can specialize in one aspect, of course. But here there are such abundance of riches, you can gather such a lot on all the aspects and make a very interesting and worthy commentary ....and perhaps an enticing exhibition or book.

Asher

BTW, notice I have centered your pictures. In a gallery, they never place all the pictures to the left side of the wall. Photographs seem more important by having white space all around them. So if you think I am correct, consider following suit.

Zeeshan Ali

Then photograph the environment that happens to contain people, but do it from across the street. That way, you get the neighborhood and the denizens who pass through. You do not need to point your camera at people, just frame the scene well and let folk come in and leave without bothering too much. Eventually you will have caught a great step, a commanding expression or a mother schlepping her unwilling child. I sometimes buy a coffee, park myself at an outside table and aim for a pedestrian crossing. It's a matter of practice.

Some photographers, such as Antonio Correia, get to know their human subjects and arrange a studio portrait. Tom dinning might just wander around a favorite locale and shoot what's interesting, but without necessarily explaining to anyone what on earth he's aiming for. James Lemon does both. He takes pictures of someone that looks interesting but he will more often stop them and get their nod of consent. Fahim Mohammed, OTOH, is a social being who engages with the folk he meets and bonds with them. Robert Watcher even returns to give them prints!

I once chose a place in a outside café ing Budapest adjacent to the path folk walk on the Buda side of the river and framed one low lying area on the ground, catching just the feet and shadows. I can do the same just aiming somewhere off the axis to faces. You see, just pointing the lens away from people, means that even if they see the camera, it is not pointing at their actual face. So if you aim for a tree at the same distance to the oncoming flow of people, then they will feel comfortable as you have not inserted your camera into their own frame of reference. For this, a 35mm or 24 mm lens is perfect if you are 3-6 meters away. For longer distances, a 50-100 mm lens might be better. You will never be comfortable until you prove to yourself that you can do this without others being impacted in anyway.

The great advantage of not stopping the person and posing them is that they are images as they really are when they are in their own world. When one greets them, one has a shot of their social expressions and that is entirely constructed. Not worse, but very different.

Asher

Its not something that drives me. I haven't tried photographing people that much so you are right in saying maybe with practice I might make something off it or even enjoy it. But point well taken. I will experiment when I'm out there next time. But to pique your interest, here is one image that I did deliberately take with a human figure in the environment though it may be a mere distraction.

Thank you for advising to post images in the center. Never occurred to me.