• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Using the iMac 20" for Image Editing! Is it possible?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The new iMac is a wonderful machine with an Intel dual core duo. The screen is big and vibrant. The pictures seem wonderful. Trouble is that it can depend on the angle of the screen.

I discounted other reports that the back lighting was giving problems since my user experience wax so great. However, now that I have looked at Nicolas Claris' boat building picture of "Men at Work", I discovered two things:

There's a major problem, it's solution is fairly simple, but not perfect. The Problem: The image is paler than seen on a good quality profiled monitor like the Eizo. The solution: slope the screen backwards 25-30 degrees.

The degree of slope really changes the appearance of the image. One can adjust that pretty well. So, at a pinch I'd use this for web preparation or selecting images. However, I'd warn against relying on the iMac screen for any critical printing. However, one could adjust the angle of the screen so that it matches the output.

Asher

John_Nevill

Asher,

My son uses the iMac 20" extensively for video editing (final cut). He loves the punch and vibrancy the screen offers and sits in front of it for hours at a time. Mind you his is tilted back slightly.

I find it too overbearing for photo imaging. I've been trying to convince him to use it calibrated but for some reason he likes it the way it is.

I must admit though, it shows clean pair of heels to any comparable spec'd PC for video editing.

Andrew Rodney

IF this is the iMac with glass above the actual display, I've heard of a number of users having difficulties calibrating (with hardware of course) the product well, an issue I suspect is the glass and then display sandwich.

Arya Wiese

I have the 20" imac and love it - I find it easier to use and easier to get the desired look of my images then with my pc monitor. I haven't had any problems but then again I tilt my screen a bit.