• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

D300 and memory card issue

John Angulat

pro member
Hi all,
I thought I'd share a problem (and what appears to be a solution to something I experienced with the D300 and CF cards:
I began seeing random CF card errors on my D300 (LCD states "cannot write to card..." when shooting. I knew the card was good as it had been used many times on my D3 and D200.
I re-formatted the card in the camera but it still happened on occassion. Swapped cards, same issue.
The cards were all Kingston's 8GB - 4 total, purchased from a reputable source (B&H).
In any event, I reformatted the cards on my PC, then reformatted each in the camera. The problem has appeared to go away.
For what's it's worth, I've seen some chatter on various blogs referring to D300 problems with cards previously used in another camera.
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I thought I'd share.

Daniel Buck

I wonder when the camera 'reformats' the card, I imagine it's probably not actually reformatting, but more or less just erasing the data that is on there? (I'm not entirely sure how that is different than reformatting, but I imagine it is) If reformatting on a PC does the trick, then that is probably the case, or part of it anyway?

John Angulat

pro member
That's true. I know that when the camera "reformats" the card, all the info remains. I've recovered 6 month old images from cards that have been reformatted a countless number of times.
That's what prompted me to try reformatting on the PC - the suspicion that some phantom data still resided.

Brian Patterson

Apparently you need to use a PC to do more than erase the 'directory file,' which is what you are describing. Glad to know this as, although I do not switch cards between cameras (D300 & D40). I don't format on the PC generally.

Thanks!