• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New to the forum.....

Thomas Shookman

Greetings all,

I'm a noob! And I'm excited to be here. Allow me to quickly introduce myself....

Im a 23 year old soon-to-be college grad eager to begin a long and prosperous (ha, fingers crossed) career in the art world. I don't recall exactly how I came across this forum but I'm really hoping to find more honest feedback here than I do from my friends and family. Of course my mom digs my stuff but what do fellow photographers think?

I generally exhibit my photos in series. To really get a gist for what I'm trying to do (as if i knew exactly) I encourage you to take a look at my blog :)

http://shookmaniaworldwide.wordpress.com/

I basically take pictures of my day to day life. I shoot primarily 35mm w/ a Canon AE-1 so its easy to take my camera just about everywhere.

I'm a journalist at heart. I don't go out of my way to make pictures. Photography for me is totally a reaction.

74690018resize.jpg

74690014resize1.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Thomas,

Welcome to OPF, I hope you'll like it here. We always try to provide honest C&C to the images for which C&C is sought. I am sure that you'll get a lot of pointers from our members.

You images have immediately caught my attention thanks to the contents and the composition. The first one is a bit naughty (if one looks at it that way) in the way that providing protection from/to ships coming and going at the harbor seems to be a very sensible thing to do ;-).

The second one is absurd and captivating at once. It seems as if the people are waiting for that huge ring of stone to come down any minute. I really like the composition, which transcends being a simple snapshot. I don't know why I think that, but our more enlightened members might lend a helping hand later.

Cheers,

Thomas Shookman

Thanks, Cem. I sincerely appreciate the feedback! I know exactly what you're saying about the 'protection' in the first one ha. I was honestly not conscious of this when I made the picture but it certainly stands out to me now.

I don't want to shove my photos down anyones throat, but did anyone get a chance to visit my blog? I'm really just curious what initial thoughts/feelings my photos invoke in fellow photographers.

Thanks everyone,
Thomas

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thomas,

Welcome to OPF and yes, your pictures are in the right place, Photography As Art, even as a NooB.

74690018resize.jpg

74690014resize1.jpg

It's nice to have an introduction to you the photographer and your style. I'd suggest that you refrain from posting more than a few like this at a time and that they be related. Here there is something of the absurd in both of these snaps that pushes the pictures up to a level of interest that is self sustaining, hence I like them as "art".

Still, you need to really think carefully about what you put together as perhaps the sequence of images on your website are of little relationship, one to another and even include pictures of no importance to you. You obviously selected pictures to show us and in that, you did a great job. Cem's comments are right on. You have a sense of humor and appreciate the absurd.

Adding your name and a title beneath the image will allow us to focus on the topic you feel should be guide our experience.

As you post more, we'll get to understand you and then rewind the movie, so to speak and get to know the relevance of these two pictures.

Asher