• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ah, A Foggy Morning

Fog always provides photographic opportunities, particularly when there's a bit of sunlight filtering through. Despite eating way too much during the Thanksgiving holiday, I managed to waddle out to a local wetland preserve before the sun managed to punch through the dense fog this morning. This is a merge of two horizontally shifted landscape frames taken with the old Canon 45mm TS-E.

original.jpg

Dawn Through the Fog​

The temperature has fluctuated quite a bit over the last few days, so the surface ice was too thin for skating and too thick for swimming.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fog always provides photographic opportunities, particularly when there's a bit of sunlight filtering through. Despite eating way too much during the Thanksgiving holiday, I managed to waddle out to a local wetland preserve before the sun managed to punch through the dense fog this morning. This is a merge of two horizontally shifted landscape frames taken with the old Canon 45mm TS-E.

original.jpg

Dawn Through the Fog​

The temperature has fluctuated quite a bit over the last few days, so the surface ice was too thin for skating and too thick for swimming.

Well done Tom!

You were up early enough and escaped from socializing at home and actually got the mist before it had burned off. On occasion, i have been woken early, (my blackout sock occasionally slides off) and I've also seen the lingering fog, clinging to the ground and once I managed to get to the park and succeeded in catching it still hovering over the trees and tall grasses. But here, you've done a much better job.

You have all the elements of a picture that would be welcomed on any living room or office wall. It has a mist, pastel colors and a sense of deep calm, a perfect mood setter in any living space. Even better, you have a frozen water surface. That acquires a special patina of both texture, (of ice, thin ice-plate edges and frozen earthy landscape, giving appearance of frozen paths and riverlets), and reflections of the sky through the early morning mist-filtered light.

You reap the reward of being an early bird and actually taking the effort to make pictures from such a transient and rich landscape.

Asher

BTW - "An old Canon 45 mm TSE" is still one of the best lenses ever made for landscape photography in the 35mm camera format!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is a merge of two horizontally shifted landscape frames taken with the old Canon 45mm TS-E.

original.jpg

Dawn Through the Fog​

Interestingly, Tom, you rightfully eschewed the opportunity to make a longer panorama. Your discipline of stitching just two adjacent images conserves for us the ability to peer into the mid-field details and that captured naked tree.

Had you been less constrained, the picture, although still magical, would not lend itself to becoming a favorite print in a regular sized home or office interior. This form is ideal for the personal intimacy the viewer is allowed with the landscape. If there's too much, then we will give it a glance but not get so involved as in this well designed aliquot of the wonderful morning fog scene.

Asher

Thank you for your kind words, Asher!

I've found the ability to shift with the 24, 45, and 90mm versions of TS-E lenses to be liberating. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Canon's 35mm native 2:3 aspect ratio, but being able to create 1:2, 9:16, and other horizontal ratios, with almost on-the-fly ease, is incredibly addictive. The same is true for vertical shifting with the camera body in landscape mode.

One tip that might be useful for anyone taking panoramas: develop the habit of taking panos starting in the same direction. In my case, I always begin horizontal shifts from left to right, and the vertical ones from bottom to top. If done consistently, it will be easy to identify one set of images from another when viewing the resulting files at home.

The 45mm version generally gets the most usage. After four years the internal gearing (kind of a rack and pinion arrangement, I believe) became worn and had to be replaced. Since then it has been as good as new.

Thank you Maggie!

Early morning fog is an interesting thing. On the one hand it offers unique photographic opportunities, on the other, it is all too easy to get into an accident while driving to one location or another through the stuff. I tend to stay local when it occurs these days, which is just as well since fog has a way of quickly vanishing. It's best to get it while it's hot...er, cold.