• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Handheld Panorama of Automobiles with the Sony A7r - Generous overlap used!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
If a Swedish red - McLaren is discovered parked on a street, with no owner in sight, one abandons one's friends, gets to the ground and tries to make a set of pictures, even if everyone else walks on!

First I grabbed shots of the front, side and rear.

Mclaren_Front.jpg

Asher Kelman: "McLaren - Front"

Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, California July 2014

Sony A7r Zeiss 55mm 1.8

McLaren tail.jpg

Asher Kelman: "McLaren - Tail"

Sony A7r Zeiss 55mm 1.8

McLaren side.jpg

Asher Kelman: "McLaren - Side"

Sony A7r Zeiss 55mm 1.8

Asher

Asher Kelman

Then I crouched down near the ground from the curbside and took 7 overlapping images, handheld. This is ambitious since one has the most trouble with stitching close when one is not set up to avoid parallax artifacts.

McLaren_as_stitched_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: "McLaren"

Sony A7r Zeiss 55mm 1.8

7 Frames, as stitched with AutoPano Giga

Mclaren_edited_800 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: "McLaren"

Sony A7r Zeiss 55mm 1.8

Edited in Photoshop CC

I'm pleased with the result, but will likely work more on the concrete sidewalk before making a print....and yes, I agree, that the irregular border, right out of Autopano Giga stitching software, seems to have drama that brings the house down!

Enjoy!

Asher

Chris Heilman

I love that kind of stuff Asher! Hand held panography has elements of contemporary digital manipulation and of timeless expressionism. The owner thanks you, I'm sure, for photographing the car, and not stealing it. As for the overlap, the more the better, or so my hh-panos seem to come out.

Asher Kelman

I love that kind of stuff Asher! Hand held panography has elements of contemporary digital manipulation and of timeless expressionism. The owner thanks you, I'm sure, for photographing the car, and not stealing it. As for the overlap, the more the better, or so my hh-panos seem to come out.

Thanks for stopping by, Chris! It's a good feeling when someone else enjoys one's work too! I must admit that I'm taken by the irregular form that comes from overlapping just enough to get the object of interest. So it creates a border that only includes what's sufficient to describe the concept and it's immediate milieu and that might be a more powerful mode of expression for me to explore further.

Asher