• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flash memory Class action lawsuit (CF SD cards etc)

Thanks for the link. Anyone should qualify, and the result -- 10% discount on one purchase of future flash memory media for each manufacturer from which you have purchased in the past 6 years -- is worth the few minutes of typing required for the online claim form.

scott

Don Lashier

What a crock, although I'll happily collect my refund. This is simply the old what is the definition of a megabyte issue. HD manufacturers have been doing this for decades - are they next?

- DL

Dennis Lathem

How silly this country is getting. Trial lawyers invent an issue, create a class and take the vast majority of the money and toss the consumers they say they are protecting crumbs.

All over a difference in storage definitions everyone already knows about and only oblivions are confused by.

I have bought a lot of memory cards in the last several years and I know exactly what I was buying. I don't plan to waste my time on this contrived trial lawyer money maker.

Kyle Nagel

Don Lashier said:
...HD manufacturers have been doing this for decades - are they next?

Yes they have been, and just about everyone who owns a computer knows that the HD will have slightly less usable storage than the size stated and probably even realized themselves that the memory devices would work the same way, this was definitely something that was dreamed up by a lawyer with too much free time on his/her hands, I can't believe this even went to court. Car manufacturers do something similar with automobile engines by rounding up when stating cubic inches or liters (sometimes rounding up quite a bit), and in the case of the memory manufacturers I don't believe deception was intended as much as they were stating the size based on a commonly accepted practice that everyone had been using since the beginning, I'm sure they didn't even give it a second thought, and I'm sure this just sets a precedence for a whole slew of new suits, and you're probably right, HD manufactures may be next. I don't blame those who want to fill out the form and get some money back, however I personally wouldn't do it because I feel it is adding credibility to something I believe was frivolous, just my personal view.

Kyle

ericevans

What will the lawyers think of next ? The camera says it is 12 megapixels but it is only 11.77 in reality , lets sue em .

Martin McLean

Epson has a class action lawsuit against them over ink levels in their cartridges. Whatever the "fix" will be, one thing is certain. The consumer will pay for it all, with higher prices.
-M-

ericevans

Martin McLean said:
Epson has a class action lawsuit against them over ink levels in their cartridges. Whatever the "fix" will be, one thing is certain. The consumer will pay for it all, with higher prices.
-M-

Epson really deserved their lawsuit . The amount of ink left in a 220ml cartridge is unbelievable . I would have rather seen them have to fix the problem instead of the payout and not have to fix it . When I have a empty 220ml I empty it into a bulk system for my 2200 ant there is a lot of ink left . My machine gets to a certain p[oint and stops , and then a I empty the bag out and have 20-50ml left in the bag .