• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Workers in shipyard!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Here is a new collection of workers.
There is no artistic ambition, just the aim to achieve a reportage (catch on the fly) on people building boats.
These images (among many others) were published in a book showcasing the 30 years of the boatyard CNB in Bordeaux.
You will see there plumbers, electricians, electronics installers, carbon and glass fibre applicators, carpenters, mast riggers, engineers at computers, painters, polishers, mechanicians, welderers and so on…

_NCZ7431.jpg

_NCZ7447.jpg

_NCZ7453.jpg

_NCZ7462.jpg

_NCZ7535.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nicolas,

These are very different folk than the usually less well educated shipworkers we expect to see. These guys seem young and hip and likely all are, I would guess more "middle class" than the workers am used to.

Am I just dreaming, or are these boatbuilders a new breed of tech savvy youngsters hardly related to those who hand york wooden boats of the past?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Perhaps Asher, there are more young people working on the shipyards these days, because the older guys usually have some difficulty with lots of new technology and more expertise is needed...

I enjoyed this set of images !

Merci Nicolas, t'as bien fait. :)

nicolas claris

Nicolas,

These are very different folk than the usually less well educated shipworkers we expect to see. These guys seem young and hip and likely all are, I would guess more "middle class" than the workers am used to.

Am I just dreaming, or are these boatbuilders a new breed of tech savvy youngsters hardly related to those who hand york wooden boats of the past?

Asher
It's a quite an interesting comment…
However there is a lot of "experienced" (means old ; ) workers in this shipyard.
There are overall more than 1000 people working in the plant…
In July when they did a huge anniversary party (30 years), they honoured 17 people that where working there since the 1st year (you may see 2 in this series, the welder and the guy with the measuring tape)… At this time, there were less than 50 people working in the company…

nicolas claris

Perhaps Asher, there are more young people working on the shipyards these days, because the older guys usually have some difficulty with lots of new technology and more expertise is needed...

I enjoyed this set of images !

Merci Nicolas, t'as bien fait. :)
Merci Antonio!
Now you can see that your work desserves to be preserved appart from this completely different style (reportage versus artistic).

BUT still we both showcase the manual work and skill of these men and women!