• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Floating Feather

Michael Nagel

The feather was just there - an occasion not to be missed. After shooting I discovered that the lens hood was partly under water during shooting.

Best regards,
Michael

I really like everything about this photo. At first I was not crazy about the rim showing in the top right corner but the more I looked at it, the more I accepted it and how it better defined the overall scene I was actually looking at.

I might want to see a tad more space between the quill and the left edge of the image but since it is not there and that is how you presented it, I fully accepted that too and soon forgot why I even cared. I really like it a lot.

Chris Calohan

I am not bothered by the rim as it gives the basin context, but I don't care for the dark area just beyond the rim as it invites unnecessary exploration.

I like how little the feather breaks the surface tension of the water.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I know what you mean, Michael. It begs to be photographed. And if you don't have a camera, stop and look for a while anyway. The laws of physics can create such beautiful things.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The feather was just there - an occasion not to be missed. After shooting I discovered that the lens hood was partly under water during shooting.

Michael

I trust the camera is still fine! This demonstration is very apt for me as I have also decided to float object at your own suggestion. I like the lighting as it does give a definite shadow and helps to provide the sense of the floating feather.

Once you have this, one can work on the lighting more in photoshop to adjust the drama, but this idea is so simple, I should have thought of it myself!

Asher

Michael Nagel

James - thank you. I understand you. I would have liked the feather a little more to the right and less of the rim visible, but I did not want to disturb the surface of the water by moving the feather.

Chris - thanks, I thought of cropping the photo to remove the rim, but this would have put the composition off-balance.

Tom - thanks, this is the reason why I (almost) always carry a camera with me. There are too many things to be missed otherwise...

Asher - thanks, the camera is fine. Otherwise all is as it was at that moment - the sun was the only light.

Best regards,
Michael