• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello From Las Vegas

Dave Butcher

Hello all I'm Dave from Las Vegas, NV and at this point and time I am a amateur photographer working on getting my skills a lot better. To be honest with you the biggest issue I have is composition. I love to go out and walk around Las Vegas and take pictures. My passion in photography is street scenes, and fire, police, military, and EMS doing their jobs. I always have my camera ready along with my scanner to catch what is going on.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello all I'm Dave from Las Vegas, NV and at this point and time I am a amateur photographer working on getting my skills a lot better. To be honest with you the biggest issue I have is composition. I love to go out and walk around Las Vegas and take pictures. My passion in photography is street scenes, and fire, police, military, and EMS doing their jobs. I always have my camera ready along with my scanner to catch what is going on.

Welcome, Dave!

Share some of your favorites. Sounds like you have s lot to choose from. What scanner are you using?

Asher

Dave Butcher

Welcome, Dave!

Share some of your favorites. Sounds like you have s lot to choose from. What scanner are you using?

Asher

Thank you Asher I use a Uniden BCD436HP which I have set up for Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, City of Henderson, and Clark County. I also have Las Vegas Metro Police programmed in but only listen to them occasionally. A lot of the times I will have the scanner going and have my scanner app on my phone going and when I hear them get paged out I will pay attention.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Dave,

Welcome aboard. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

I have a suspicion that when Asher asked what kind of scanner you were using, he may have had a different use of the term in mind! But maybe not.

I still remember the early scanning monitor receivers that were crystal controlled, and my trying to decide for which frequencies I would invest in crystals.

And of course earlier than that my public safety radio monitoring facility was two racks of Motorola "turkey oven" mobile receivers, refitted for fixed use, each on a single frequency, feeding a wall full of loudspeakers in my bedroom!

I haven't done much monitoring for several decades, although I do keep a Radio Shack PRO-37 brick on my desk, but it is rarely turned on.

I also have a scanner on my desk, an Epson V30 flatbed.

Best regards,

Doug

Dave Butcher

Hi, Dave,

Welcome aboard. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

I have a suspicion that when Asher asked what kind of scanner you were using, he may have had a different use of the term in mind! But maybe not.

I still remember the early scanning monitor receivers that were crystal controlled, and my trying to decide for which frequencies I would invest in crystals.

And of course earlier than that my public safety radio monitoring facility was two racks of Motorola "turkey oven" mobile receivers, refitted for fixed use, each on a single frequency, feeding a wall full of loudspeakers in my bedroom!

I haven't done much monitoring for several decades, although I do keep a Radio Shack PRO-37 brick on my desk, but it is rarely turned on.

I also have a scanner on my desk, an Epson V30 flatbed.

Best regards,

Doug

Hey Doug

I remember those days very well. I ended up with three portable scanners all loaded with different crystals and my poor car looked like a cop car with all of the antennas on it. I have a all in one HP printer on my desk also that I use to scan things with.

I am sorry Archer if you were meaning something different on the Scanner. I hang out a lot in Fire Buff sites and when you talk about scanners it is something different.

Dave

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The "Scanner"!

Dave,

I was thinking, "Wow, this fellow brings real photography!" Real film, an 8x10 transparency scanner and then the equivalent of a 500 MP scan!

I imagined you, amongst the trail of fire hoses, with at least an 8x10 LF camera pointed towards the chaos! You, choking from smoke, wet with spray, focus the ground glass screen and then get your picture before they bring in another fire truck to the very place you were working the scene!

.......and instead a bloody radio scanner? I thought that these were now only used in Gothem City by friends of "Mac the Knife".

I simply use a self-stick GPS tracking device, that I place under the front bumper of every police cruiser in my zip code!

Then just follow them on your iPhone, on a Google map. Don't you watch CSI on the TV, LOL?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Dave,

I am sorry Archer if you were meaning something different on the Scanner. I hang out a lot in Fire Buff sites and when you talk about scanners it is something different.

I have (almost) always said "scanner receiver".

Best regards,

Doug