• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: Sacred Flame

Prateek Dubey

r285343-fullsize.jpg

The Sacred Flame : Prateek Dubey

Fire is the most sacred element in Hinduism. The logic being that it is the only element which cannot be polluted. So the sacred color for Hindus is the feiry Orange. Fire is made a witness in all important rituals. Starting with housemoving, to weddings ( One has to take vows in front of fire and take seven circles around it) and to death. In this case, the morning prayers in ode to Mother Ganges were performed at Haridwar and the fire then divided into many smaller flames taken around to bless all and sundry. It also makes money for those who carry it around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
r285343-fullsize.jpg

Fire is the most sacred element in Hinduism. The logic being that it is the only element which cannot be polluted. So the sacred color for Hindus is the feiry Orange. Fire is made a witness in all important rituals. Starting with housemoving, to weddings ( One has to take vows in front of fire and take seven circles around it) and to death. In this case, the morning prayers in ode to Mother Ganges were performed at Haridwar and the fire then divided into many smaller flames taken around to bless all and sundry. It also makes money for those who carry it around.
Well Charlotte,

It reappeared! A magical Phoenix that can correct syntax must have flown past!

Prateek,

Interesting how the elements fire and water are so important. What about earth and wind and the moon, son and stars. I must say I'm pretty poorly informed on Hindu mythology and cultures, although I know the civilization predates most others.

There seems to be a pantheon of revered symbols, or are they more than that? Elephants, cows and in Nepal, monkeys. How ignorant I am!

Asher

Last edited:

Prateek Dubey

Well Charlotte,

It reappeared! A magical Phoenix that can correct syntax must have flown past!

Prateek,

Interesting how the elements fire and water are so important. What about earth and wind and the moon, son and stars. I must say I'm pretty poorly informed on Hindu mythology and cultures, although I know the civilization predates most others.

There seems to be a pantheon of revered symbols, or are they more than that? Elephants, cows and in Nepal, monkeys. How ignorant I am!

Asher,
The fundamental premise of Hinduism is that Man is not the center of the universe, but only a part of it. So virtualy everything is sacred in Hinduism. Yes every other element, including earth and water are also a part of the ritual and the Sun is worshipped in many forms too. In fact, if you ever come to India, you must visit the Sun temple at Konark. More than famous for its highly erotic sculpture. The joy of creation depicted without apologies and very very graphically. Apparently there are 330 million gods and goddesses in the Hindu pantheon. Who keeps track of them, God knows, but look at anything, it is worshipped. Snakes, fish, crocodiles, bulls, monkeys, elephants to name a few. I'm sure there must be some importance attached to flies and mosquitoes too ( after all there are so manyof them here)....

Last edited by a moderator:

John Angulat

pro member
r285343-fullsize.jpg

Hi Prateek,
Very nicely done!
Equally enjoyable is the narratives you share with your images.
Quite a learning experience!

Charlotte Thompson

Good shot and a learning experience on the wonderful differences we share as a group of humans
I hope that scared flame doesn't catch him on fire-

Charlotte-