• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just Passing the Time

Chris Calohan

9301756893_1a147bc4b1_o.jpg

Passing Time on the Ferry, Elwah: Chris Calohan​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
9301756893_1a147bc4b1_o.jpg

Passing Time on the Ferry, Elwah: Chris Calohan​

Chris,

What's so interesting is that time is also passing in the parade or procession in the picture on the wall behind him!

I heard of a Captain who nearly run this ferry aground 'cause he was high on weed!

Asher

Chris,

What's so interesting is that time is also passing in the parade or procession in the picture on the wall behind him!

I heard of a Captain who nearly run this ferry aground 'cause he was high on weed!

Asher
Yeah... I believe that Chris crops vital information (don't get me wrong now Chris...) that could let the frame develop... Perhaps you are too much INTO the subject Chris... I am sure, the subject acts in relation to the enviroment and this should show in the capture (I mean more than the reflection in his glasses)... IMO it not only is the rest of the picture behind him that misses, but also some outside information that he is experiencing and is motivating his playing...

I hope you don't mind me posting some of my own to explain my position...

img089bbb.jpg

f_7-37_travelling.jpg

Now in this one... I even excluded the subject from the picture (leaving only its reflection on the window) to relate it with the environment...

c47-20_16xb.jpg

I think you don't like wide angles much... do you Chris? It's more a "portrait" kind of approach...

Robert Watcher

I kind of agree with the others Chris. Not that there is anything wrong with your composition or content, or the quality of the photo and processing.

It is maybe the difference between taking an interesting shot in an interesting setting and coming up with a title for it - - - and envisioning a story or concept and looking for the elements and composition that has the greatest visual impact for relaying the story or supporting a predefined title or concept.

I think that if parts of the image were left out and the visual focus was a little different, the image wouldn't be so static. When I initially viewed your post, I was thinking I would have taken a different approach - - - but after noticing what the amazing Asher was able to extract from the picture element on the wall in behind - I agree that that is a powerful element that could have been better utilized.

But hey - all we are trying to do is explore the potential of where such an image could have gone. It is how you have seen and presented it - and that is as a really nice photograph. :)