• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A tribute to Michael Nagel

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
A poor but sincere tribute to Michael Nagel’s beautiful thread

_N020334.jpg

Hand held - 1/40 s - /2,8 - ISO 400

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A poor but sincere tribute to Michael Nagel's beautiful thread

_N020334.jpg

Hand held - 1/40 s - /2,8 - ISO 400

Yes, it's a wonderful tribute to both of you, Nicolas. I wondered when Michael's work would infect someone else. This is a great first step and quite spectacular. But, I'd ask, why is it different? What is the extra juice that Michael adds?

Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

nicolas claris

Ah!
I'm caught! of course Le crayon rouge is right!
I corrected the OP…
Thank you to point to this error Doug. I hope Nagel will not be too angry after me : )

Michael Nagel

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for the tribute - I feel honoured.

I'm caught! of course Le crayon rouge is right!
I corrected the OP…
Thank you to point to this error Doug. I hope Nagel will not be too angry after me : )
As you provide an opening for a rant, here is a mild one:
This is the only place on the WWW where people manage to get my last name wrong and this even in a repeated fashion. That's a feat! I know that five letters can be pretty confusing... Confounding first name and last name is added value... ;)
For the impression - how would you react to people calling you by different names than yours and this even not consistently?

Rant over...

Thanks for the picture of the station - would have liked to see the platform level as I can only guess that it is behind the gates on a lower level.

As Cem indicated rightfully I would have chosen symmetry here. The only way is the right position. This cannot be corrected into the picture. Here I might have tried center position and a higher viewpoint to get a better view of the platform level in relation to the gates.

Best regards,
Michael

Cem_Usakligil

For the impression - how would you react to people calling you by different names than yours and this even not consistently?...
My oh my oh my! This has been the story of my life Michael! If I had a dime every time somebody misnamed me (in infinitely diverse ways), I could have bought a couple of Leicas by now, lol.

nicolas claris

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for the tribute - I feel honoured.

This is the only place on the WWW where people manage to get my last name wrong and this even in a repeated fashion. That's a feat! I know that five letters can be pretty confusing... Confounding first name and last name is added value... ;)
For the impression - how would you react to people calling you by different names than yours and this even not consistently?

Rant over...

Thanks for the picture of the station - would have liked to see the platform level as I can only guess that it is behind the gates on a lower level.

As Cem indicated rightfully I would have chosen symmetry here. The only way is the right position. This cannot be corrected into the picture. Here I might have tried center position and a higher viewpoint to get a better view of the platform level in relation to the gates.

Best regards,
Michael

[Rant]Glad you d'din't call me Nicholas Clarisse![/Rant] ; D

Fully agree with you about the positioning.
This one is slightly better but the axis is still not in the real center…

_N020335.jpg

And yes the platform was at the lower level…

_N020340.jpg

Paul Abbott

Nice documents, Nicolas. Michael's shots will surely be held up as respectable documents of what once was...time marches on and things change as we all know.
The GR is so good at taking shots in this kind of low light, it's so easy to keep things respectable by way of aperture, ISO and shutter speed I feel.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

I do make typing errors ..... And when they're discovered correct them. Doubtless, more quick name flips are lurking in my numerous posts, but I hope they are getting less.

BTW, calling someone by just surname, without the salutation of "Mr." "Miss", is common in the English language usage both in the U.K. And here in the USA. Would such transformation of "Nagel" to First Name familiarity be normal in other languages too? Just wondering whether employing a surname as a familiar first name is considered poor form anywhere?

Asher

nicolas claris

Thank you Pol ; )
However framing still needs to be perfect!
This was not the case, but it was just a snap while run ont after the train. (Which we missed by my fault!)

Michael Nagel

... shots will surely be held up as respectable documents of what once was...time marches on and things change as we all know.
Same compliment goes to Paul.

BTW, calling someone by just surname, without the salutation of "Mr." "Miss", is common in the English language usage both in the U.K. And here in the USA. Would such transformation of "Nagel" to First Name familiarity be normal in other languages too? Just wondering whether employing a surname as a familiar first name is considered poor form anywhere?
In Germany this is more considered as poor, even rude form...

Nicolas,

the second one is my preferred of the two shown and something I would have posted if it was my picture. Two people waiting, the train arriving and the framing is right.

Best regards,
Michael