• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: GXR Richoh's wonderful silent camera: is this perfect for music photography?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I must let you guys into a newly discovered secret! With 2 of my Canon DSLR's out of action, the serious compact GXR from Ricoh turns out to be a little marvel!

GXR.jpg

The Ricoh GXR, (with the 50mm lens module) is likely one of the best ever compact cameras for street work or for fun. For music performance, however, it opens up a whole new capability to take as many images as one wishes during the actual performance without creating any shutter sound. This means one can potentially capture images which show the players well at any point in the performance, ushering a new "blimpless" shooting experience for this challenging type of photography.

1. is absolutely silent,

2. has absolutely the best user interface to address any parameter fast,

3. auto White Balance gives wonderful reasonably "ready-to-use color"

4. works in low light well enough for serious reportage shots

5. beats the compact cameras in having a larger APC size sensor

6. beats my previous favorite, the canon G10 in image quality

Ricoh has gone ahead of all other MFRs of serious compact cameras for pros by assembling all these features together in one compact camera.

I will add enough pictures to follow, to show that the camera has a great potential. The pictures will come from recent music performances at The Colburn School of Music Grand Avenue Los Angeles, next door to MOCA and opposite the Walt Disney concert Hall.

Asher

So return to this space for the pictures.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I must let you guys into a newly discovered secret! With 2 of my Canon DSLR's out of action, the serious compact GXR from Ricoh turns out to be a little marvel!
This sounds very potent.

The lens-sensor module arrangement ("interchangeable camera camera") is unique and ingenious. I haven't taken the time to understand all the advantages of the concept.

I'll be anxious to hear/see how it does in your project.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

You say the Ricoh GXR is absolutely silent.

By that do you mean that the sound of the leaf shutter is "completely imperceptible", or rather that there is a mode in which the leaf shutter does not operate "shot-by-shot"?

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

You say the Ricoh GXR is absolutely silent.

By that do you mean that the sound of the leaf shutter is "completely imperceptible", or rather that there is a mode in which the leaf shutter does not operate "shot-by-shot"?

Best regards,

Doug

I mean its completely imperceptible! So I picked it up and held it 6" from my ear and I could hear a soft shutter noise! had thought it must have an electronic pixel based shutter, but no, it's real and just so well made. In company or even in an auditorium with no conversation, there's enough ambient background noise that one cannot detect any shutter sound. Even in my home or events, no one can tell the shutter was released. That's why there s a synthetic shutter sound added to give feedback to the photographer. Folk are in disbelief that the camera actually takes pictures when I use it as they listen for the shutter sound if they had stopped chewing or want to stop smiling and scratch or have another sip of wine, LOL!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I mean its completely imperceptible! So I picked it up and held it 6" from my ear and I could hear a soft shutter noise! had thought it must have an electronic pixel based shutter, but no, it's real and just so well made. In company or even in an auditorium with no conversation, there's enough ambient background noise that one cannot detect any shutter sound. Even in my home or events, no one can tell the shutter was released. That's why there s a synthetic shutter sound added to give feedback to the photographer. Folk are in disbelief that the camera actually takes pictures when I use it as they listen for the shutter sound if they had stopped chewing or want to stop smiling and scratch or have another sip of wine, LOL!

Sounds way fab.

As you know, I am a big EVF fan, and I see there is an optional EVF for this critter. Do you have that?

IRCVF2.jpg

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

As you know, I am a big EVF fan, and I see there is an optional EVF for this critter. Do you have that?

i do, but need to use it! In a music performance, this might be more of a distraction to other folk or not, I'm not sure. certainly they wont see the brightly lit and very obvious LCD!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Here's a random pick, not chosen for anything but spread of figures across the width of the frame. I used the 50mm f 2.5 Macro module at ISO 400. Bart van der Wolfe's's suggestion of under-exposing (with the 5DII) has been applied, without formal testing) to the GXR and so it was exposed at -0.7 EV. This effectively tames the over exposed highlights and the image can be recovered with a simple adjustment with the levels layer.

The files are stored in the camera in Adobe RGB 91988) color space. This shot was by shutter priority taken at 1/64 f 3.5. I am showing the result with the immediately ready JPGs unaltered, right out of the camera, just reduced in size with "focus sharper" in CS4

First here's the histogram, and then the image after correction of the white point by bringing the right hand marker to the right edge of the histogram curve.

hist 0014710.jpg

_0014719 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Colburn Chamber Music Society Performance 2010_04_09 Zipper Hall
White Point Adjusted only

_0014719_Shadow-Highlight.jpg

Shadows Opened up too

Asher Kelman

Now let's look further at this one randomly picked jpg, out of the camera, with just WP adjusted in the histogram with the layers layer in CS4. Here are 100% crops from left to right. no shadow recovery. Of course, I'll process them from RAw too but this is to show the quality of JPGs from handheld grabshots in low light at 1/64 sec ISO 400 -0.7 EV

_0014719 Left edge 100 percent.jpg

100% Left Edge

_0014719 Left CENTER 100 percent.jpg

Left of Center

_0014719CENTER 1-3 100 percent.jpg

Center

Asher Kelman

Now here's the result of processing in Capture One from RAW

_0014719_1200 pixels.jpg

Processed in Capture One, Reduced to ~45% of full size

Now just for fun, I wondered what Imagenomic's "Portraiture II", face enhancement software might do to such a picture!

_IMGNMC.jpg

Well it seems to do a nice job in finishing features and softening the background. That's splendid for just a 5 second effort!

Much more to come on the GXR meeting the Colburn Chamber Music Society at Zipper Hall last Sunday! Obviously I need the new zoom lens when it comes out or to get closer, as cropping wastes pixels!

Asher

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Now just for fun, I wondered what Imagenomic's "Portrait Professional" face enhancement software might do to such a picture!

_IMGNMC.jpg

Well, that is an extraordinary enhancement!

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Obviously I need the new zoom lens when it comes out or to get closer, as cropping wastes pixels!
Which zoom module do you mean, the P10 (28-300 mm ff35 equivalent)?

I'm unable to find what its sensor size is (they seem to studiously avoid mention of that). I hope 24 x 16mm ("APS-C"), but maybe not.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Which zoom module do you mean, the P10 (28-300 mm ff35 equivalent)?

I'm unable to find what its sensor size is (they seem to studiously avoid mention of that). I hope 24 x 16mm ("APS-C"), but maybe not.
Doug,

You ht the nail on the head! Actually they could even have a full frame sensor, though I imagine they won't because they'd want to keep the weight down. At least, with the APS-C size sensor, we should have
a good quality pixel. They should be gong to a new generation of sensor snce it's almost a year since the GXR was first let out of the barn.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Now Asher, you have got me interested...very.

I shall eagerly await your further views on this Ricoh.

Thanks for making me aware of this product.

Regards.