• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Perfect Light

Robert Watcher

Perfect Light

AP-20161130-EM106415.jpg

Olympus OM10 w/40-150@49mm : f5.6@1/640'th : 800 ISO

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Perfect Light

AP-20161130-EM106415.jpg

Olympus OM10 w/40-150@49mm : f5.6@1/640'th : 800 ISO

Yes, Robert, the overhead clouds really add a finish to the picture. It's obviously good.

What a few folk might not know, is that the diffuse light from such a sky is a rare gift of fortune to any portrait, wedding or even photographer as everyone will be getting the most even professional lighting one can obtain anywhere.

I use 7 foot octadomes and giant dishes for flash and yet these only mimic the massive overhead sky! Whenever there's a sky like this, be impulsive: photograph your family. Now watch how even skin, that has fine lines, seems to be so much smoother and years fall away.

Yes, this is perfect light.

Still there may still be direction, so in most cases, get the brightest sky over one shoulder or behind you!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Thank you for your comments.

I virtually never show an photo straight out of camera - however with this image it required only very basic tweaking of the highlights and shadows and a very slight rotation for the horizon line as I was handholding. The lighting and content were all there for me to capture without anything more than those minor adjustments.

I noticed the lighting and white birch trees as I was driving around an Indian reservation on a Cape of the Georgian Bay in Ontario yesterday afternoon. I got out of the car to grab a few shots of just the tips of the trees against the sky - which is what intrigued me most. While I was at it, I pulled the zoom back and took one additional frame with more of the scene included, to crop in later in case I was too tight with the others. I never was planning to use this shot as is, because I really didn't see any potential with the sheds and trailers until I Imported it into Lightroom.

-----------

Peter Dexter

It's a skillfully captured image with perfect timing. An odd assortment of buildings with the house(?) the same size as the garage or maybe they live in the trailer.

Robert Watcher

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

Anne and I are heading back home to Ontario, Canada in a couple of days. I look forward to enjoying this type of evening lighting again.

We don't have that luxury in Central America. We do have beautiful lighting even here in the city streets in daytime - but it is totally different. The sun sets very quickly and it is always dark by 6:00 or a bit after. Plus there are virtually never overcast conditions like we have in Ontario. Mind the lighting in this image, was in the fall time with it's erratic weather conditions and constantly changing skies and clouds.

It will good to get back home for a bit.

------

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

Anne and I are heading back home to Ontario, Canada in a couple of days. I look forward to enjoying this type of evening lighting again.

We don't have that luxury in Central America. We do have beautiful lighting even here in the city streets in daytime - but it is totally different. The sun sets very quickly and it is always dark by 6:00 or a bit after. Plus there are virtually never overcast conditions like we have in Ontario. Mind the lighting in this image, was in the fall time with it's erratic weather conditions and constantly changing skies and clouds.

It will good to get back home for a bit.

------

Wish you a safe trip back! The overhead diffused light is just perfect for the portrait photographer. No one else can make such a massive pro light doom!

Asher