• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Door, blue, blue door

Cem_Usakligil

m04795.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Cem,

I cannot imagine anyone else taking this particular picture. It is unlikely to be repeated as there are so many combinations of options. Yes it's fun, but this is in no way merely a good use of color. I offer my own reactions and they are not dependant on the reasons why this composition worked for you! ?

My analysis is based not on your intent, which only you know, but on the universal symbolism that it can evoke in us, as we come to experience this new work. Allow me to take this picture very seriously.

By using the blue elements as you have, disparate things are connected as we vary approaches to the concept of "blocking passage". "Passage", itself, is important as it is the basic necessity of the master metaphor of our lives, found in all languages: "Life as a journey". In some way it has the seeds of a serious and valuable follow-up to your successful series on "Portals". A deeper meaning is allowed each of us, as we observe and return to contemplate the image and once again ask, "What world are we entering?"

If there are more related images in this series, it will be a set of works that will garner my continued attention and interest. Right now it is fascinating and I am hooked. With siblings this image will emerge stronger.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

I have been taking similar pictures, perhaps one might call them siblings indeed. Here is one from the same day.

m04732.jpg

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi Cem,

the first two go well together, the third one doesn't really fit, I think ...

PS:
You first picture reminded me of my "Jaffa Blues"-photos ..., when I'm home again, I think I'll show them here in another thread ...

Cem_Usakligil

Thanks Wolfgang. I wasn't really trying to match these together, I just did a quick search from the same day since Asher asked for it. It is just an eclectic collection. ;)

Tom dinning

Registrant*
The context is disfunctional; haphazard in the placement of the door, makeshift in their structure and colour, yet we all know their purpose. It might appear that the doors are escape routes to a better place, or they might hold darker secrets. Nevertheless, the passage is daunting.

As usual, Cem, you see these things without notice. They appear to you as haiku; brief descriptions of existence, moments of interrupted vision, a distraction from the mundane of one to that of another.

Beauty isn't necessarily a goal here. Possibly a social context or an effort to place the world into your own perspective or that of others.

There is no room for technical evaluation or judgement; just recognition. Recognition of the existence of such places, the truth in seeing and the astuteness of you to notice.

I would class these as 'snapshots'. That is the greatest value I can place. It is as one might value the nose upon ones face.

xx