• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

AIR BORN/AIR BORNE/AIR PRESSURE: Paul McCarthy Exhibition in Antwerp, Belgium

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Folks,

This afternoon I have had the chance to visit the Paul McCarthy's exhibition of inflatable sculptures at Middelheimmuseum, Antwerp, Belgium.

For those of you who are not familiar with Paul McCarthy's work, the museum website provides this short intro:

Since the end of the 1960s Paul McCarthy (USA, 1945), one of the most significant living artists, has been steadily working on what has since become an impressive body of work. He focuses on sex and aggression and in doing so criticizes the symbolic violence in our culture, which is teeming with mass media and family values. Paintings, videos, performances and sculptures are the arsenal for a scorching attack on the culture which the artist lives in.

[ AIR BORN I AIR BORNE I AIR PRESSURE ]

The exhibition at the Middelheim Museum demonstrates that even today it is still hard to fully grasp McCarthy. He continues to surprise us, at present with monumental inflatable sculptures, which can be up to thirty metres high. The creations are reminiscent of the inflatable figures used in the ad world. McCarthy has appropriated an existing phenomenon and literally disfigures it. On the occasion of the exhibition he has created five new works. The eight works on show are dispersed throughout the statue park. Visit the Braem Pavilion to see his scale models in which this transformation takes shape and which might help you understand the artist’s mental and work process. The unique character of Antwerp’s statue park provides McCarthy with the opportunity to show a large group of inflatable sculptures for the very first time. A worldwide first!

Here is a brief impression of the exhibition. Let me know what you think please.

Bound to Fail P.M.H.M. Sculpture on Scaffolding (2003-2004, height 15,24 m)
img_34511_0_196365485-O.jpg

Daddies Tomato Ketchup (2001, height 12,20 m)
img_34511_1_196365558-O.jpg

Santa Clause with Plug (2007, height 24,20 m)
img_34511_2_196365631-O.jpg

White Head (2007, height 7,5 m)
img_34511_3_196365525-O.jpg

Cheers,