• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Travelog: In BKK !

It was hard to know where to post since I am using two systems, the EOS Mk2 and XE2 Fujifilm, on the other hand, I am an old new member ...

Anyway... I have landed in Bangkok. --for the ones that don't know, I am moving to Thailand for a few years with my wife that has a mission for the United Nations. I have a couple of days here--

I have to apologize for not participating as much lately... the move has been like pooling teeth ...

I have a interesting -in my humble opinion- image that I want to share here...

11221439_10152885299447084_6867560346187934455_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Glad to see you arrived safely in Bangkok! I see you got staight to investigating the standards of hygiene in the restaurants! Don't make a habit of it or you'll not eat out much anymore!

What led up to this picture? Did you ask, or passed by the back of the establishment?

Asher

Asher, the idea was to contrast the world of the high rise condo with what is going on in the streets, and how this are not equal world here in Thailand --same as in my country Nicaragua--. I have jetlag, so I went looking for coffee pods at 3am and did't find any in the 7-Eleven stores, but there was a lot of offer of sexual services.

I think this is going to be a very photogenic home for me.

By the way, I used my Distagon 18mm Carl Zeiss (manual focus) and took several image without any problem from subjects in the image.

According to rules of street photography you are NOT supposed to ask for permision, and if you do then the image becomes part of "street portraiture genre" automatically.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, the idea was to contrast the world of the high rise condo with what is going on in the streets, and how this are not equal world here in Thailand --same as in my country Nicaragua--. I have jetlag, so I went looking for coffee pods at 3am and did't find any in the 7-Eleven stores, but there was a lot of offer of sexual services.

That's funny! When I first arrived in Los Angeles, we checked in to a nice hotel on Sunset Blvd - not too fancy, but the folks coming and going seemed well-dressed and pretty happy folk. My wife sent me to fetch coffee lay at night. Several pretty girls with very short skirts went by asking if I was looking for some "fun" and a good time! "Of course", I replied "that's why I came to this place!", thinking I was responding in kind.

It was only when my family were up in the morning and saw the Hotel for the first time in daylight that we discovered the main use of the hotel and the reputation of this section of Sunset Blvd!

This is a bustling city. Find out if they smile or are so absorbed in their intent to do their tasks that they are seriously blank!

By the way, I used my Distagon 18mm Carl Zeiss (manual focus) and took several image without any problem from subjects in the image.

I use that lens too! What camera do you have it on and do you correct the mustache peripheral distortion?

According to rules of street photography you are NOT supposed to ask for permision, and if you do then the image becomes part of "street portraiture genre" automatically.

I was just wondering how you reached the area they were working in! Were you passing by the back or did you have to go through the restaurant?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
That's funny! When I first arrived in Los Angeles, we checked in to a nice hotel on Sunset Blvd - not too fancy, but the folks coming and going seemed well-dressed and pretty happy folk. My wife sent me to fetch coffee lay at night. Several pretty girls with very short skirts went by asking if I was looking for some "fun" and a good time! "Of course", I replied "that's why I came to this place!", thinking I was responding in kind.

A great story!

Many years ago I was out-of-town (I'm not sure I know in what city) and I returned to my hotel early in the evening from dinner at a nearby restaurant. As I neared the hotel, three cute girls came out of a secondary entrance and, as they reached me, one said, "Hey, fella, would you like a date?"

"Sure", I said. "What time do you get off work?"

They all laughed and went on their way.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Leonardo,

Best of luck for your time in Thailand.

I'm, sure!

I wasn't aware of that convention. (There was quite a discussion here a while ago as to just what was "street photography". As usual in such cases, I first responded, "If we are able to create a defintion, what will we do with it?")

I look forward to more of your work from Thailand.

Best regards,

Doug

Antonio Correia

Once I was in patpong market with my wife and trying a belt.
A beauty came from the shop in front and embraced me to check if the belt was fitting on me.
I bought the belt ! :)
At the time I was using a Nikon E5700 and I was only shooting jpg. Oh Gosh ! This has been 11 years ago !!! How time passes...
The kind of contrast you show is quite usual there...
Remember to walk in the streets with mask. The pollution is terrible as you may know.

i-Wq6B8wT-X2.jpg

This is the sidewalk on Sukhumvit, I think Soi 11 or 12, so to access it you just had to watch the motorcycle taxis crossing the street and shoot at very close quarters with the wide angle.

The camera is my old 5DM2. There are two lenses that I may get to replace my Canon system and move to the Fujifilm X. One is a 15-36mm F4.0 equivalent that may be better than the Carl Zeiss ...

pic_01.jpg

And the other is XF56mmF1.2 R --85mm equivalente. f1.2

pic_02.jpg

Then there is an equivalent 70-200 f 2.8

If I get this 3 lenses I could emigrate permanently to Fujifilm.

I am not a working photographer anymore since I am a full time artist ...