• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New MacBook owner

Chuck Fry

I just picked up a MacBook over the weekend. 2.0 GHz, white, with the standard 1/2 GB of RAM. For reference, I've been using Macs for over a decade for work and play.

I have to say I'm impressed with this baby. The design is classic Apple - sleek and stylish. Even the box it comes in is compact. Plug it in and turn it on, and it comes right up (though not as fast as I'd been led to believe). Configuring the network to work with our home WiFi setup was the only tricky part, but fortunately I have a lot of practice at this.

There's certainly plenty of CPU horsepower for a laptop, even if the graphics capabilities are limited and the factory skimps on RAM. It's quiet until you put the CPUs to hard work... then it sounds like a jet preparing for takeoff, but at a lower volume.

It will run Mac applications compiled for PowerPC (G4, G5) in emulation. Of course this means they run more slowly, but the MacBook has twice the CPU horsepower of previous PowerBooks. So the net result is a modest slowdown.

You get a lot for your $1300. The MacBooks have Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth, and FireWire built in (but no modem, a $40 USB modem can be hooked to it). It will hook up to external video displays in spanning or mirror mode, with the addition of a $20 connector. The 2 GHz models come standard with DVD burner drives. I didn't feel like spending the extra $200 to have it in black.

The biggest issue I see with the MacBook for photography is the LCD screen. The contrast and color balance change with viewing angle. Side to side it's pretty consistent, but up and down it changes dramatically. I wouldn't recommend using the LCD for any critical photo editing work. It's plenty bright and has adequate resolution for other uses.

For my money the MacBook is a big win. Just make sure you throw some more RAM into it, and plug it into a better display if you want to do critical photo editing.

Alain Briot

pro member
That sounds great. It would be even better if the built in screen was of the same quality as Apple desktop LCD monitors ;-)

Sid Jervis

pro member
Chuck,
you said that it was base memory configuration. Are you likely to upgrade it? If yes, is it user upgradable, or did Apple take that away this time round?
Is the screen a gloss finish or matt, like the usual Apple offering?

Stan Jirman

All Apple products shipping today are user upgradable WRT memory.
All MacBook screens are glossy; with MacBook Pro, the buyer has the choice between glossy and matte.

Chuck Fry

Sid Jervis said:
Chuck,
you said that it was base memory configuration. Are you likely to upgrade it? If yes, is it user upgradable, or did Apple take that away this time round?
Is the screen a gloss finish or matt, like the usual Apple offering?

Stan is right on both counts: RAM is user-upgradeable, all MacBooks have the glossy screen, and the MacBook Pro models now offer a choice of matte or glossy screen.

And I do intend to max out the memory (2 GB max) next payday.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Chuck Fry said:
Stan is right on both counts: RAM is user-upgradeable, all MacBooks have the glossy screen, and the MacBook Pro models now offer a choice of matte or glossy screen.

And I do intend to max out the memory (2 GB max) next payday.
It's a good idea to have the base Apple memory supplied be sufficient to run your key applications.[/quote]

Although other memory suppliers are give lifetime warranties, there is a tendency for kernel panic, solved by removing said 3rd party memory!

So it is always great to know that you can still work while your faulty memory is being replaced.

Asher

Chuck Fry

I did pick up 2 GB from a local (Santa Clara, CA) vendor who I've been using for years. I've never once had a problem with their RAM in several Macs. The 'Book is a whole lot faster now!

Rob.Martin

Messing with a MacBookPro

Had mine a week. It's only 1GB of RAM and it eats RAM like no ones business.
1GB extra when I get back to bangkok should make a difference.
It seems a bit easily phased on processing, very patchy, but I am growing to love it. 17" Screen is a winner, as was its predecessor.
Cheers
Rob