• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

RRS Discovery.

This is the RRS Discovery. The ship that Captain Scott travelled to the Antarctic in.
With the new V&A museum as the backdrop.

27068639538_16466dcaf0_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is the RRS Discovery. The ship that Captain Scott travelled to the Antarctic in.
With the new V&A museum as the backdrop.

27068639538_16466dcaf0_b.jpg

What a surprise, Gordon!

I love this, the very last of the 3-mast wooden “Royal Research Vessels” and the history of the brave men who explored the harshest Antarctica environments! What a treasure for folk to keep for future generations. Almost all the great exploration ships have been lost!

But this was such a surprise! I really thought you had just “discovered” RRS, the company “Really Right Stuff” and their incredible way of well machined Arca Swiss type attachments, such as L-brackets and tripod mounts and tripods!

If there was a new expedition to some tough environment, likely as not, the photographers would get support gear from RRS. I have their plates, gimbals and ball heads and love them!

Asher

What a surprise, Gordon!

I love this, the very last of the 3-mast wooden “Royal Research Vessels” and the history of the brave men who explored the harshest Antarctica environments! What a treasure for folk to keep for future generations. Almost all the great exploration ships have been lost!

But this was such a surprise! I really thought you had just “discovered” RRS, the company “Really Right Stuff” and their incredible way of well machined Arca Swiss type attachments, such as L-brackets and tripod mounts and tripods!

If there was a new expedition to some tough environment, likely as not, the photographers would get support gear from RRS. I have their plates, gimbals and ball heads and love them!

Asher

Thank you. I have an image of the oldest floating wooden hulled war ship it is the Unicorn and is still afloat at The harbour in Dundee.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The Royal Merchant Marine and the Navy not only had to man these complex wooden vessels with very efficient planning of stores and provisions, but the also had to often enough carry on board a full complement of carpenters and shipwrights, if case they would need to repair the boat after a storm or naval engagement.

Since there’s such limited room on a vessel, the ecosystem is very special requiring incredible discipline to put the resources to the right task and yet be able to still read the night sky and the winds and carry out their mission.

Just the organization of loading the ship is a skill for which one has to have great training and insight to all the tasks at hand.

Remember, everything had to be written by hand and searched and found by hand!

Asher