• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A stitching event

Ray West

I used the 'free software I mentioned in my first post in this thread - I think it may be a gui front end to ptassembler, not sure. After a few false starts, I got a result easily, relatively automatically, equivalent to the APP examples shown here. I have not had much time for this, but using the photoshop distortion tools, I reckon I could get the path to be reasonably straight. The software ease of use and results has impressed me. I have not used it before a day ago, and I've not rtfm, so the parts that look complex, I ignored (it says something like 50,000 pixels are in error.)

I have tried the images posted by Michael, and the results are most unimpressive. I think the parallax problems are over riding the good points, so to speak. I actually entered the blend points by hand, and got it a bit better. I think if I was that concerned, I'd remove the background, stitch what was left, maybe stitch the background, and reassemble. I have only played, in the past, with scenic panoramas, where parallax is of little consequence.

The fun continues.

Best wishes,

Ray

Michael Fontana

pro member
Bart

for the box, the NPP had been a few mm only away from its correct position; but close panos aren't forgiving.
So the box just beeing a nasty example.

Addendum: It was correct, when I stated. "....for close macrostitches; as the 24 mm should provide a better DOF, than longer macro's. "

But a 24 mm macro hasn't any bigger DOF than a "normal" 24 mm.

As APP can export to Hugin, I've the 0.6 on the computer, too, but couldn't find the "Straight line"-tool.
BTW: APP has a similar (??) tool, for corrceting not only the verticals, but the horizontals, as well. This is new in vers 1.4.

"The fun continous"
Yesterday, I gave the 200 mm a try; obviously, there's a huge resolution. One can even see the spider's net in the 100% crop, at the right.

It's a 3 x 7 row, kinda 50 mm-angle. At the 100%size, its very noticable, how the small DOF makes it looking "more photographic" than wideangles-pano, with their overall-DOF & -sharpness.

pano_200_mm.jpg

for the box, the NPP had been a few mm only away from its correct position; but close panos aren't forgiving.
So the box just beeing a nasty example.

Apparently, but when even a nasty case can be handled reasonably well, an optimized setup will be easy.

As APP can export to Hugin, I've the 0.6 on the computer, too, but couldn't find the "Straight line"-tool.
BTW: APP has a similar (??) tool, for corrceting not only the verticals, but the horizontals, as well. This is new in vers 1.4.

The straight line tool in Hugin is on the Control points tab where you can manually edit control points. When you enter 2 control points on the same image (set both image tabs to the same number), Hugin will usually guess right whether you want to create a horizontal or vertical set of points. When you enter the two points on two different images, you can force the newly created set from normal to hor/ver at the bottom right Mode selection box.
The APP tool apparently only allows to apply it to a single feature, where the other stitchers allow to apply is to multiple features that you want to force horizontal/vertical.

Bart