• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ring Flash for $25? Yes, and its great for filling in backlit Pet Photos (pic inside)

Strobist commented on it here http://strobist.blogspot.com/2011/05/if-ikea-made-ring-flash.html

Its an assemble-it-yourself vinyl box thing that works!

Here is a backlit shot made while playing....

Spot Meter, TTL, Flash Comp. -1.7 EV:
honeydew.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
That DIY video is a blast! I love the silent film era piano music and the speeded up movement in assembling the ring flash. It's wonderful!

So funny too!

Thanks for the great link!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You are talking about this DIY video here, right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_7gv9oehTc&feature=player_embedded

That is the process but somehow after I was done the DIY text printed on the unit had turned into YID... is that Jewish?

That's a crack up!

Amongst Jews, especially those educated in the Yiddish language, (the oldest extant German dialect with absorbed hebraic words too), "Yid" is a term of the greatest warmth, respect and dignity, something to aspire to. To be a Yid is to be a Jew with the highest principles and accept responsibility and accountability before man and God. Sadly, in colloquial European languages, it's used in a pejorative mocking epithet and uttered in a demeaning fashion towards Jews, especially by skin-heads and the like.

Asher

No kidding! You picked up on my thought that it reminded me of the word Yiddish, but I had no idea it has its own meaning and slang history. I just assembled my unit wrong! It works though.