• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pentax K10D with older Pentax or Sigma lenses

Jim Dulc

Searching for help with older Sigma Pentax K mount lenses without the “A” setting and the Pentax K10D body!!!

In 1981 we purchased the following camera equipment Pentax ME Super SLR body, SMC Pentax-M 1:1.4 50mm lens, Sigma 1:2.8-4 35-70mm standard zoom lens (Pentax-K mount), and a Sigma 1:3.5-4.5 70-250mm Zoom –infinity II lens (Pentax-K mount). These lenses DO NOT have an “A” setting.

This Christmas we purchased a Pentax K10D DSLR body, Sigma Zoom 55-200mm 1:4-5.6 DC lens, and a Sigma Zoom 18-50mm 1:3.5-5.6 DC lens.

As expected the new Sigma lenses work perform as expected. The problem we are experiencing is getting the older Pentax K mount lenses to operate with the K10D camera body. We were told the older lenses are compatible with the K10D body. We are unable to get the Pentax K10D to recognize the f-stop and trigger or activate the shutter release on the older Pentax or Sigma lenses. The camera is set to “M” Manual mode.

Are there any additional settings that need to be set?

Is an adapter required for the older Pentax or Sigma lenses to be compatible with the Pentax K10D body?

Is it possible to use the older Pentax or Sigma lenses “as is” on the Pentax K10D body to set the F-stop and trigger or activate the shutter release?

I located a possible solution on http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg which I cannot get to work. The instructions are as follows:

When you use a K-bayonet mount lens with an A-position on the aperture ring, set the lens to “A” and use the camera normally. All metering modes work the aperture is controlled from the body.

When you use a K-bayonet mount lens without an A-position on the aperture ring
-Set exposure mode to Manual
-Set desired aperture on lens
-Focus and frame subject
-Touch shutter release half way to activate meter
-Press green button to meter and set shutter speed
-Release shutter

What am I doing incorrect?

Jim

Is it possible the shutter is not releasing because the camera senses that focus has not been acquired?

The only reason I know for the shutter to not release is focus-priority lock. However, this usually only the case when the camera is on AF-S.

Make sure the focus switch is set to M ?

I have an old zoom lens with a variable aperture and I just set the camera to the long end aperture so when I zoom I don't get underexposed images.

Kyle Nagel

Yes, I'm sure Ed is correct, it is the auto-focus control being turned on, I have been trying to reply, but until now I have not been able to access the forums all day for some reason.

Just make sure it is set to M as he suggested, the shutter should fire with no problem then.

This also brings up another suggestion, I have the same body and a couple of the old "M" series lenses and in playing around with them I have found a pretty cool focus assist feature you can use regarding this. Turn on the auto-focus and go to the manual mode and use the green button to acquire your appropriate shutter-speed for the aperture you have selected on the lens. Once you compose your shot push the shutter down and hold it, then slowly turn the focus on the lens, if you move slowly the shutter will fire once focus is achieved! This is great for those with less than stellar vision and especially since there is no split image focus assist in the view finder. Pretty cool, huh?

Kyle

Ken Heeter

Yes, I'm sure Ed is correct, it is the auto-focus control being turned on, I have been trying to reply, but until now I have not been able to access the forums all day for some reason.

Just make sure it is set to M as he suggested, the shutter should fire with no problem then.

This also brings up another suggestion, I have the same body and a couple of the old "M" series lenses and in playing around with them I have found a pretty cool focus assist feature you can use regarding this. Turn on the auto-focus and go to the manual mode and use the green button to acquire your appropriate shutter-speed for the aperture you have selected on the lens. Once you compose your shot push the shutter down and hold it, then slowly turn the focus on the lens, if you move slowly the shutter will fire once focus is achieved! This is great for those with less than stellar vision and especially since there is no split image focus assist in the view finder. Pretty cool, huh?

Kyle

Thanks Kyle, my vision isn't the best and this is great, thanks again.

Jim,
Sorry i have not been around and just saw your post today (major computer meltdown kept me away).

I have the istds and under the "custom settings" menu there is "using aperture ring" until I selected "permitted" the camera would not fire with my old lenes. I don't know if the K10 is the same but check it out.

I just checked the Pentax site and the K10 manual shows under "custom settings" menu "using aperture ring" settings on page 210 of the printed on and page 212 of the online PDF. You may have found this already but if not try it.
Happy Shooting

Ken Heeter
Pentax "istds"

Steve Robinson

Just to confirm what the others have posted, I have a K10D and a K20D and an M 50mm f/1.7 which work just fine together. I have set the 'Use Aperture Ring' to 'Permitted' in the 'Custom' menu. The shutter will not fire unless this is done. If you want to use SR, set the SR switch to 'On' and when you turn the camera on you'll get a menu on the LCD monitor asking for the focal length of the lens.