• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

No Thanks - I’ll stick with the Camera

Robert Watcher

I saved the little bit of battery that I had in my camera, until tonight - my last night being able to shoot the streets of Tapachula Mexico. It is such a vibrant city - and while my iPhone got me through this dilemma - there is nothing like the control of a real camera to capture the images I want for my records.

When I turned the camera on tonight, it didn’t take long to realize the possibility of only a shot or two before the camera dies - no longer were the 2 green bars of battery showing, now there were only a couple of bars of orange/red.

I sat on a bench on a busy pedestrian street, with a half a dozen policia federal hovering around me and coming up behind to see what I was doing - or to protect this foreigner with his camera fully exposed (not sure which). I managed about 25 frames and decided to head home in the hopes of wirelessly downloading a few to my iPad. These six were successful and half way through downloading the seventh, my Olympus Share App posted an error downloading message. The battery was done.

But the plan worked. I ended up capturing some of the hubbub going on in this part of the world. Olympus E-M10 w/45mm f1.8 shot wide open.

67BE24C8-03A8-42E0-9AD8-C39EBADCB2DB.jpg

8F8265B1-A73A-44D7-81E3-80A4CBEAFD31.jpg

136FC040-B798-4C8F-9B45-A9C2712A0167.jpg

915499F5-24A5-499F-B112-633782415FCB.jpg

0941AA96-E444-4786-92E1-213532603C2E.jpg

7DC70A77-9FAA-4C6D-B2BC-751DA8E85025.jpg

—————

Robert Watcher

A pic of the Policia Federal, who were keeping a very close eye on what I was doing. A couple of them circled around behind Anne and I while I was sitting on a bench shooting, to observe what we were doing I suppose. After several minutes of taking pics, I decided it was time to move to another location a block away.

92AB75FE-0776-47E3-B52C-01438CE6614C.jpg

Peter Dexter

The guys in the picture look relaxed but unlike here in Colombia I always found the Mexican police and military to be very touchy about having their pictures taken.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A pic of the Policia Federal, who were keeping a very close eye on what I was doing. A couple of them circled around behind Anne and I while I was sitting on a bench shooting, to observe what we were doing I suppose. After several minutes of taking pics, I decided it was time to move to another location a block away.

92AB75FE-0776-47E3-B52C-01438CE6614C.jpg

What could they be thinking? We’re you planning a robbery or perhaps a terrorist event of horrible proportions? Or are some photographing locations restricted?

Asher

Robert Watcher

What could they be thinking? We’re you planning a robbery or perhaps a terrorist event of horrible proportions? Or are some photographing locations restricted?

Asher

I didn’t hang around long enough to find out. Once Anne noticed that they had moved in around us and she saw a couple looking in the back of the camera and one with a phone pointed in our direction (I was occupied watching people for potential shots) —- I set the camera on my lap and talked with Anne for a bit, got up and holding hands we casually went to different area a block away. No one followed. If it was that they worried about our safety, they didn’t come up and tell us to put our camera away and be careful —- the way different well meaning nosey locals have gone out of their way yo impress on us in the past.

——