• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Flower close ups

Jean Henderson

Hi Everyone!

I've been absent from here for a while -- again. With spring bringing new blossoms and blooms, I have taken up photographing them again. I will be interested in your comments on this one.

Gerbera_Daisy_No_1.jpg

Gerebera Daisy No. 1 ©2013 Jean Henderson​

Hi Everyone!

I've been absent from here for a while -- again. With spring bringing new blossoms and blooms, I have taken up photographing them again. I will be interested in your comments on this one.

Hi Jean,

Good to have you back.

Your Gerberas do invoke happy feelings. Personally I would have perhaps cropped the empty region of the image a bit at the top, or chosen a higher viewpoint. But the image is already pleasing as it is, even if a bit small.

Cheers,
Bart

Jean Henderson

Thanks for the welcome back, Bart! I hope to stick around a bit this time, but my life is always a bit on the crazy side so don't hold your breath!

I agree with you about the negative space, but I try to shoot full frame as much as possible and cropping only comes down the road a bit after I've lived with things for a bit. As for the happy feelings, it comes from this plant also having been an early Mothers Day present from my son who moved to Zambia the day before the holiday. While sad, in some ways, it is also about a whole new chapter in his life (and I am not one to stand in the way of my kids' dreams -- no matter how much it might bring sadness, too.)

Here are two other recent subjects.

MG_9578.jpg
[/IMG]
Purple Lilacs No. 1

MG_9477.jpg
[/IMG]
Calla Lily No. 2

Jean

Hi Jean,
Long time no see!

Of the three shown, my favorite would be the Calla Lily as I think it has a unique point of view. It's shape is sensual and it holds my attention. The background is a bit textural for me as I think it pulls my eye away from the flower, but still, I like it.

As for the others, I think they are fine and well-exposed but I am wondering if the Gerbera Daisy wouldn't look better with a whiter background. The light grey doesn't help the flower pop much. The same goes for the lilac. They are both very traditional types of photos. The Calla Lily is less so and perhaps the reason that I like it more.

Nice to see you around, Jean. Don't be a stranger! :)
Maggie

Jean Henderson

Thanks Bart and Maggie. Your points are well taken, Maggie. I'll redo them but not just now time wise. Maybe over the weekend.

Jean