• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Epson printers maximum print length?

Will Thompson

I have been in deep discussion with a few friends as to the maximum print length on different Epson printers with different OS and software.

The main group of models are:

PRO 4000, PRO 7600, and PRO 9600.

I know that with a RIP you can print to the end of a 100 foot + roll but what about with Epson drivers with PhotoShop and iPhoto?

Doug Kerr

Hi Will, Nill,

I'm pretty sure Qimage will let you print past the normal max length, which I vaguely recall as being 44".

From the Qimage Help system:

Background: Qimage not only overcomes your printer's size limitations by being able to print a multi-page poster, but it can also override page length limitations on printers that support roll/banner paper. For example, your print driver may have a limit of 44 inches for the length of a "page" even when you are using roll/banner paper. If you want a print that is 50 inches in length, you can use this example to get a single print that is 50 inches in length even though your printer is limited to pages of 44 inches or less in length. Note that this example only applies to print drivers that have a "roll" or "banner" option for the paper feed. If your print driver does not have either of these options, it will not be possible to overcome your printer's page length limitation without cutting/pasting two pages together as would be done in example 6.

[List of specific menu and setting steps for the example]

Qimage will print a "poster" that is 1x2 in size (one page wide and two pages tall). Since you selected "roll" or "banner" paper in the print driver, when Qimage gets to the bottom of the first page and starts printing the second page, there will be no break in the print because there is no "page eject" command when using roll paper. The result is one continuous print at the size selected. In the example where the print driver is limited to a 44 inch page length and you print a 13 x 50 print, Qimage will print the first 13x44 inch page followed by a 13x6 inch page. Since both of these "pages" are printed on a continuous roll, there is no break and the result is a continuous 13x50 inch print.

This is basically a "tiling" ploy. Again, I don't know whether Will's bedsheet ironer has the operating mode (emphasized above) needed for this (you might think, given that it is basically a web (roll) feed machine).

Qimage will only operate on a Windows platform (or emulation).

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

This is basically a "tiling" ploy. Again, I don't know whether Will's bedsheet ironer has the operating mode (emphasized above) needed for this (you might think, given that it is basically a web (roll) feed machine).

Epson technical documents Will recently sent me confirm that this capability is in place for the Epson Stylus Pro 9600 (but not, for example, for the Stylus Pro 5000/5500).

It appears that for regular operation, using the orthodox driver, the maximum print length is 90.5".

Operation with a PostScript RIP from a PostScript-oriented application will evade that limit (but of course limits may come from the application).

(Note that any printer that can print from a character-oriented printer language actually has a RIP in it, but it is not fashionable to call them that unless they will eat Postscript.)

Requiescat in pace.

Best regards,

Doug

Andrew Rodney

Max size is based on the OS, the version of the driver and the application. If you're under Windows with the newer 900 series, assuming the application can support such a doc, its something like 500 odd inches.

Bill Miller

Epson

Will,

Have you ever thought about calling Epson (562) 276-1305. It would seem that would be the best source for an answer.

Doug Kerr

Hi. Bill,
Have you ever thought about calling Epson (562) 276-1305. It would seem that would be the best source for an answer.

I suspect the best answer is in Epson Product Support Bulletin 2004.03.001C, "Maximum Printable Area Limits for the EPSON Professional Graphic Printer line" (19 pp of considerable detail).

Which Will has.

Best regards,

Doug

Will Thompson

Epson tech support has not got a clue. The only info they have is over 4 years old and is read from a computer prompted system. I regularly call manufacturer tech support knowing more about there products than they do! I was looking for recent first hand information from someone that uses a 9600 family printer. A lot has changed in drivers and software in the last 5 years since they have actively supported these printers.